Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP new motor, 180 Degrees out...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK I tried to start it and got puffs of white smoke... I turned the timing forward and still did the same thing...

So what's the easiest way now that all the covers are on to fix 180 out...
    I know it is easy just wanna do it right... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Aaron

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Eh, if it's 180 out... pull the distributor, turn the rotor around 180 degrees and put it back in. Am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Yeah i know shaggy... i know....
    It sounds that easy, but there has to be a catch... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Do i need to get it on TDC first?

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

yep, what shaggy said!! but even easier (if you know your 180 out), just move your #1 to there and redo your firing order!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah I thought of that too.. but what if I forgot i did that one day and .... well...

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Nope, there is no catch. 180 is 180 is 180, no matter what. The ritor will turn as you pull it out because of the helical cut of the cam gear, you want to rotate it 180 from where it ends up, not from where it started. Easy Schmeezy./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK.. and if it isnt 180 out..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

How can I VERIFY it is 180 out... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

yep, what shaggy said!! either way (his way or my way), will work!! or if your lucky, your rotor will install 180 out! meaning, it's not keyed to install a certain. however, when you go to replace your rotor (and then you don't remember), you'll be faced with this instead!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

read this post (it's currently on 2nd page)!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif i've explained it a bunch of times!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Need Help--Still Won't Start ***UPDATED AGAIN*** ( Pages 1 2 all )

10. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

(this takes 2 people) insert finger on top of #1 sparkplug hole. bump motor (just barely) until you feel compression (start to blow your finger off of the hole), then stop. move harmonic balancer to ZERO on the pointer. check rotor alignment to distributer. it should be pretty close to #1 sparkplug wire (minus your advance). this is basic, then go from there.

DON'T STICK YOUR FINGER INSIDE OF THE HOLE OR ANYTHING ELSE, OR IT MIGHT GET BROKEN OFF OR MUNCHED!!!

11. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

one last thing before i'm off for the night.

Do i need to get it on TDC first? &lt;-- you

yes, everything needs to be done from TDC, so you know where you are at!! "baseline" so to speak!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

DOH I just realized what I did wrong...
    I put it on the wront TDC...

I put it on the intake tdc not power tdc....

Sone of a B!tch....

DOH....

OK I had my stupid for the month glad it's over...

13. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

This is a common problem for most new engne builders (and some seasoned ones that forget this detail). Many people instinctively line up the timing marks on the timing gears, (pointing toward each other) which is correct. This is the split overlap position.... meaning that the cam is located between the exhaust &amp; intake stroke (both valves slightly open). When installing a cam, line up the timing marks, install the gears/chain, then turn the engine exactly 1 turn. This is #1 top dead center (compression). Both timing marks will then be pointing straight up. After installing the balancer, rotate the engine approx 3/4" counter-clockwise to show 10deg before TDC on the balancer. Install the distributor so the rotor points to the #1 plug wire &amp; line up the teeth on the magnetic pickup in the distributor. This is usually a good starting point &amp; should allow the engine to start quickly. Getting it started &amp; running at a fast idle (approx 2000 rpm) is the most critical part to good camshaft life on a new install. Filling the float bowl of the carb through the bowl vents (in case you dumped it out when removing the carb) also helps it to start better on the first try. Obviously FI motors do this for you when you first turn the key (do this 2 or 3 times before trying to start to build pressure). Hope this saves all of you some aggravation.
    Lonnie Pavtis
    Lonnies Performance Automotive