Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help: new to diesel market...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by noJeepshere, Apr 24, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

...and want to buy 92-99 suburban with diesel. what to look for? what year is best to buy? aftermarket parts? im looking to tow with this rig. thanks in advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I believe that the 97-up 6.5LTD has the most hp/torque due to an upgraded cooling system. 385ft/lbs vs 430ft/lbs. I forget the hp #'s.

94-up 6.5 uses electronic injection vs the mechanical injection in the earlier years. You can get much more power out of the electronic injection if more power is going to be your goal.

Oh and the earlier years of the 6.5 can be upgraded with the newer cooling accessories although it will be a much larger hassle to do this with a mechanically injected engine than the electronic.

Other than that make sure you check the gearing if you'll be towing.

How's that for a start?

3. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

thanks for the info. what performance parts are there? i looked in the summit catolog but all for cars and street trucks(which are as bad as tuner cars) would jc whitney catalog have anything? diesels are a love hate thing i have found and most hate them. thanks in advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Lol, all kinds of upgrades out there. It just depends on how crazy you want to get. 18:1 pistons and marine power is the way to go if you want to get nuts. The Diesel Page 6.5L power project makes 300+hp and 600+ft/lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Visit www.thedieselpage.com and go to the advertisers section. They have links to all the companys with great performance upgrades.