Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, no brake lights...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by linksvu, Mar 30, 2006.

1. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

I have done a couply searches but cannot truly find a match to my issue. 88 6.2 turbo. I promise I had brake lights when I bought this thing 3 months ago, but I just had a driver tell me yesterday I have no brake light. Here is the catcher, I have everything else.

I have tail lights, both blinkers, dash lights; and all of those perform as they should. However, it is only when I press brake that nothing happens. I tore apart my dash (which is a whole issue) and there are two controllers/switches attached to the brake support. One does seem to have power however the other I cannot see and power coming from it.

Any ideas that you guys know where to look next?
    Any one know what the two switches controll on the top of the brake pedel; they both are activated when the brake is pressed?

Thanks....

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I can't tell from your profile if you have a trans with a lockup torque converter (i.e. 700R4). If you do, then one of those switches "unlocks" the converter when you push the brake pedal (and also disengages the cruise control, if your truck is so equipped).

The other switch is the brake light switch.

p.s. You might want to fill that profile out in the user CP; it will save you lots of future typing info about your truck and the equipment installed thereon.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I replaced my blinkers and fixed mine. Although it took about 5 different ones to get them to work. My symptoms were almost the same as yours. Do your hazzard lights work?

4. linksvu

Blazinzuk: they do not work now that you mention it. And they did when I bought it. I depress the button and nothing happens...that is odd. Did you simply replace the bulbs? I am a bit confused as to what you replaced; "blinkers"

5. linksvu

1985_K5_Silverado: Sorry about that, I will do so. It should proof to be very helpful. Thank you again. And yes, it is the 700-R4 and that completely makes sence, I only with I thought of that. Any way to tell which is which?

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

I don't remember off the top of my head how many wires (and of what color) are hooked up to te other switch type, but the brake light switch should be 2-conductor (white and orange).

Now that I look at the 88 wiring diagrams, I'm not positive that they had the TC/CC switch later than 1987 (that might have been done by the ECM when the brake lights were triggered), so hopefully someone else can chime in on that one.

7. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Check for power leaving the turn signal switch. The Orange and white wire is the brake switch wires and they are hooked to the turn signal switch and a 12v pos. Also check the flashers (both of them) or change them to see if it works. Some of the push button switches under the dash go bad over time, mine did on my 74 so i got a new one and that did the trick for me.

8. linksvu

still nothing...

well I am still a bit lost. I cannot tell if the brake switch is getting power but it does not seem so. So far I can only determine that the orange & white wires supply the juice.

I am also a bit lost as to what "blinkers" and "switches" I should replace. I do not believe you mean the bulbs in the rear light housings as they would have to work to see the turn signals, correct?

So far, I have lost my brakes lights and hazard lights only (have turn signal and running lights) and I no longer have my over-head dome lights. I lost both of those as the same time while my footwell light has remained.

Any thoughts guys, I am obviously concerned as it would be my fault if there were an accident. Thank you much!

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

On my 85, the hazard flasher and the brake lights both share a 15A fuse (factory setup), labeled "STOP-HAZ" on the fuse panel. Check it out.

If both dome lights went out at the same time, check the 20A fuse labeled "HORN/DM" (it also feeds the horn relay, clock, and cig lighter).

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

look at your fuse block the blinkers will be a round item usually one on the top and one on the bottom there will be two there though. go to a parts store or even wal mart. they have them and they are called blinkers. They are usually silver in color. I really think this is your problem just helped two freinds fix theirs one a chevy and one a jeep both of them needed their blinkers replaced

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007