Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help, no drive needle!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

this morning on the way to school when i shifted into drive.... my little needle that indicates if im in reverse or drive BROKE off.... dont ask me how.... but it did. haha
    where do i get another one of these?
    and how do i change it?
    do yall think lmc would sell one? or does anyone else have one off a parts k5?
    thanks for the help guys

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Junkyard, its not worth spending all that money for a 1 cent piece of plastic and metal. (LMC does have, your local dealer is usually cheaper than LMC). What you have to do is pull of the bezel (shinny chrome and black trim cover) over your gauges. Make sure you take the bottom cover of your steering column too. Then I think you have to take off the clear plastic lens over the gauges. Its held on with a few 1/4" screws. The gear indicator assembly is held one with I believe 2 1/4" hex head screws also (1/4" if they are silver colored, 7mm if they are black colored). From that assembly you will see a little metal wire that goes to your steering column, that pulls the needle into poisition, it is anchored with one phillips screws.

Summary...pull the bezel, take off the plastic lens, undo the two screws holding the indicator assembly and the one screw on the column.

I suppose you wanna know how to take off the bezel too. Well undo the bolts holding the dash on, they will on the passengers side and are 7mm. Open the passenger's door and undo the screw hidden on the side of the dash too. Then take off all the screws around the bezel. Make sure to take off the plastic cover around the bottom of the column (4 screws). Once you get the bezel loose, pull it back a little. Then grab your dash and push it up a bit to get it out of the way to remove the bezel. You'll have to move around the headlight switch and shifter to get the thing out. If you need more room, then pull back on the dash to undo where its hooked at and you can really lift it up. You could take out the dash and change the speakers if you wanted to. Anyways, remember when putting the bezel back on that the longer screws go in the holes where the silver is at and the short ones go in the black areas like around the story.

If you have any burnt out bulbs, now would be a good time to change them. All you have to do is take out the 1/4" head screws holding the gauges in and yank them out. The speedo takes a little more work to get out, but we wont get into that, I've already made this waaaaay more complicated than it is.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You don't have to unbolt the dash to get it out. It just takes some manuvering, the tricky part is the headlight switch. I have taken mine many times w/out messing with the dash, Hell I didn't have a needle for three years anyway, just had to count the notches /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Needle! Who needs a stinkin' needle?! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif J/K LOL..I don't think mine has ever worked!

5. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats wrong with counting notches???

6. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Girl's use needles

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

hey now guys... i know i dont NEED it, but i like it.
    theres nothing wrong w/ counting
    but i think when i take it off, i am going to put new bulbs in, and change the needle AND fix my temp guage

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You could always make another indicator needle out of a little piece of metal and then just paint it white or orange or whatever. Should be faster than locating another one.

BUT...your needle may still be there, just over to the left of "P" so far that you can't see it anymore. In which case, all you have to do is replace the little string or put the clip back on the column, it may have come loose. You'll see how it works when you get it apart.

9. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

Do you really need one?

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I doubt that it is actually the indicator that broke. More than likley it is the POS plastic that supports the wire that the indicator runs on. Repair is as described above, just a little more involved.

11. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

get 2needle's and knit me a sweater (medium).ha ha. get an old alarm clock now you have your new needle and your girl can drive your truck.

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i dont have a needle. do u always look at the knob on a manual before u shift? same difference. get used to it. b a man.

NITRO

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Would you guys BACK OFF! He wanted to know how to fix the indicator needle, not who could come up with the best smart a$$ comment. Excluding this post, there are currently 11 posts and 6 of them have nothing to do with repairing it. Now granted BSing is fun, but now I can see why Grim put a post down telling people to keep it more on topic. Sorry for nagging, but how you would like if it happened to a question that you asked?

14. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

There is a little wire that pulls the needle to the right, and this may be broken, or mabye the plastic peice that it attaches to on the needle needs to be repaired. You will see that it is a very simple mechanism when you get to it. I would just rig something to make it work instead of buying one.