Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ! no fuel no glow

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Aug 23, 2004.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i finally got the truck to turn over after i swapped the engine into it , there was a lil "black box under the dash that was missing so i stole it form the other truck.these are both 84 m1008 cucvs . i think i have a wireing problem with the GPs im not sure if something is broken i used all the parts from the running truck so in theory it should run . as for fuel do i need more than 5 gal in the tank? and how do i purge the line of air ? thanks -Andy /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

What is that little black box? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Do you need more than 5 gallons? Well, usually, no. To purge the line of air, if you have a little pump, it helps a lot- So does a mighty vac or something like that.

I think you can hook up the GP's directly to a battery, but I dont suggest doing it without one of the new glow plugs that dont mind you having them on for extended periods. If your using old GP's dont do this!

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

the lilttle black box has something to do with the ignition , the starter wont trun over without it . can i just crank it over to purge the air ? do i need to leave a hose off ? i searched for Rene's posts but didnt find them .

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it is the correct way but yes I have unplugged the pink wire on the injection pump (power wire) and cranked it over for a while to get air out after replacing my fuel tank. I have dual batteries and a brand new gear reduction 6.5l starter so I turned it over for a few minutes with no fear of draining the electrical. Plugged back in the pink wire and vroom. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Your results may vary based on the ammount of air.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Andy,

Try this post. air purge instructions

The info you need should be there.

As for the GP's, I'm not sure I can help too much. My glow timer dealy was pretty much done for so I traced the little blue wire back from there and ran it to a push button switch. As soon as the little blue wire is grounded the GP's should come on. I would imagine the CUCV's are similar as the GP's are 12 volt IIRC.

Think of purging the air like you think of bleeding brakes. You need to apply pressure at one end and open something up at the other end. If you're starting with a dry system it's going to be easier to do this in sections. First section would be to get fuel coming from the lift pump itself. That's easy...disconnect the pink wire from the IP, disconnect the fuel hose between the lift pump and the filters, remove all the GP's (it'll crank 100 times easier) and crank the motor over until fuel comes out. Now you know you're good until that point and have confirmed the lift pump works.

Next, pre-fill the filters with fresh clean diesel, hook up the line supplying the filter(s) and unhook the line after the filters and crank again. You now have no air between the tank the the engine side of the filters.

The last part sucks. Ensure all the lines are tight and connected. Re-attach the pink wire to the IP. Loosen all the injector lines and have a helper crank the motor in 15 second bursts while you watch the loose injector lines. Remember to let the starter cool for a minute or so between cranking. As soon as one begins to drip tighten it and watch the rest. When 7 or 8 have dripped you have 95% of the air out of the system.

Re-install the gp's, cycle them and try to start the truck. Remember you need really good cranking speed, so if the batt's are getting weak you should probably make sure they are 100% charged.

At this point it should start.

Rene