Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! NO Headlights OR Alternator output. FIXED!!! Thanks guys.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Sep 27, 2003.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I was judt driving around the other day and my headlights started to flicker, and about a mile down the road, they shut off completely. No headlights, parking lights, or dashlights. I also noticed by looking at my volt guage that the alternator isnt charging. Anyone had this problem before? Is there anything the lights share with the alternator, like a fusible link or something? Please help its driving me crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP!!! NO Headlights OR Alternator output.........

Sounds strange, usually headlights still function until the battery dies. If all your lights died, and your alternator died, you have your explanation there. Your truck may still run for a little bit, cause the battery is providing power for the spark plugs to keep going. Try hooking up a charger/booster pack to the battery. Let it charge until full, see if the headlights turn on.

If so, its probably just the alternator, just get a new one.

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Probably a connection at the starter is flakin' out, or one of the fusable links went out on a wire near the starter.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Also try lookin at the battery connections themselves. We just went through that very same thing on our 94 Sub. I went to disconnect the cables from the battery and the whole positive connection pretty much fell apart in my hands. All of the insides of the molded rubber were corroded up to and including the wire comin from the alternator and the piece that used to was inside the plastic case of the battery. Good luck to you.

Allan

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot fot the replies guys. Turned out one of the smaller wires coming from the starter got burned up. Thanks Sample. I feel much better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

good deal!

At least now I know if next time I get that symptoms.. I'll know where to start lookin!