Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help. No rear/side running lights!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HarryL, May 31, 2001.

1. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

It's a strange thing I noticed. I have no rear (L/R) running lights(parking)/side lights. I have brake lights and turn signals in the rear. I checked the fuses, and all are well. I have headlights (High/low beams) and turn signals up front. I also have side lights up front.

This is strange. It appears that there must be a separate system for the rear light set up.

Can anybody provide assistance?

Thanks,

Harry

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    The wires for the rear run down the drivers side of the frame rail.Check it for shorts or cut/damaged wires.There is only about 4 or 5 wires that go to the rear of the truck so it's not that complicated.Good luck,chasing wiring problems can be a real pain.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. olbluebeast

olbluebeast Registered Member

check your grounds on the body. you will be surprised.

4. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Harry, I found one of mine out the other night. All it was was the contacts between the bulb and socket. Just spread the wires on the bottom of the bulb and it worked fine. For some reason I still have a turn signal light on the dash that stays on when the lights are on. All bulbs work fine, even the blinkers. I still have to figure that one out.

Bestens,
    Travis

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Harry, are you talking about the red sidemarkers that are near the end of the sides of the truck? If so, they do not illuminate when the parking lights are lit. They only light when you hit the turn signals. The front side markers work as one would expect (on with parking lights, flashing with turn signal).

6. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Oh contrare mufrare! (I have no idea how to spell that) Sorry Steve, my front and rear side lights work with parking lights and blinkers.

Travis

7. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Au contraire mon frere!!

Steve, yep, those are the lights I'm talking about. those and the taillights. when I pull the headlight switch out to the 1st detent and all the way out I get no lights on the side markers and in the tailights. nada, zip, nichego.

I have turn signals in the rear and side lights and blinkers and headlights up front, but everything aft of the rear axle is toast. I do have brake lights and blinkers.

any ideas?,

Trav, I checked the bulbs and spread the little metal bits, no go. Everything is no power.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Harry

8. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Steve, I must appologize for being a smart-a$$. It wasn't meant to come across that way. I broke out the schematics for Harry and found that the rear-side lights only work with the parking/headlights. They are not tied to the blinkers in any way. I'm trying to work from memory but there are 4 wires that run to the rear lights.
    1. Brown - power for rear side marker, tail lights, and license plate.
    2. Lt Green - back-up lights.
    3. Dk Green - passenger side brake/turn signal.
    4. Yellow - driver side brake/turn signal.

I'll look it up again tonight just to make sure.

Travis

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Wierd. I could swear that it was te other way around. I'm going to have to look at the wiring diagram again as well. I know that mine don't light up when the parking lights are on, and there are a few others around here with the same malady. IIRC, the ones I know of like this have functioning side marker blinkers though... I'll have to double-check to make sure...

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    This will settle things.Here is a couple links to a color schematic for our trucks.There is a regular image and a full screen image as well.Depending on your internet connection,the full screen images may take a couple minutes to upload,sorry.

http://www.zing.com/picture/p5e906e17de883fa8df848d3e26bb00f4/fe6db64d.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.zing.com/picture/p13f1db15bc7c17dc28232d783cc4d7a4/fe6db546.jpg.orig.jpg

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

11. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Travis, Steve, et al:

I now have rear and side lights. I spoke with Travis anoche, and this PM went out and started tracing wires. I rechecked fuses, and then went to the outside of the firewall and on my creeper, chased the wires along the inside of the frame. I got all the way to the rear bumper and found where a 2 piece rubber 4 socket plug had pulled apart. Plugged it together and voila!!!

Thanks for your help guys!!

Harry

12. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Must have been one of those darn Gremlins!

13. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Trav, I think it was the little neighbor kid who did it. I told him I'd give him a lollypop for every wasp nest he destroyed.

He's been looking in some strange places......
    I've given him 5 lollypops so far, but he's been getting bitten a lot lately.
    Harry