Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! No start!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fbronson, May 1, 2004.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

I've run into a little problem. My 6.2 won't start, actually, it won't even turn over. It's not the batteries, I've checked them. Glow plugs heat just fine. When I turn the key, it acts like a dead battery, but the voltage on the meter doesn't drop, even like it does during a normal start. I can hear the starter engage the flywheel, but that's it. The engine doesn't even start to turn. Do these things ever get vapor locked? Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I would check the starter, make sure its still functional- it could have an internal short. Could be the starter relay as well.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the starter is /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif toast to me. Check to make sure that the battery cable connection at the starter itself is tight.

Casey

4. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

You guys were right on, it was the starter. I think it did have an internal short. I pulled it out and tested it on the bench, and it definitly didn't work. In went a new starter, and it fired right up! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks for the advice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif