Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP.. NP203 problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Jan 30, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I have a '76 K-5 with a NP203 thats been converted to part-time...t-caes rebuilt by a shop last year... am I correct that even if the rear drive shaft is removed the front shaft should still drive the vehicle in 4hi or 4lo?? In 4lo or 4hi, with hubs locked, I get a grinding sound, like two gears slightly touching each other...when I first tried to drive in 4hi, with the rear shaft removed (getting rebuilt) it it rolled about 5 feet then popped out of gear and then I could not get it to move again... When I then put it in 2hi or 2lo the speedo showed that the rear output was working... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Is this a case of adjusting the linkage.. or something more serious /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Mine did this, but it had nothing to do w/ the tcase. The splines were shot in the driveline so the tcase end of the shaft was spinning, but the front axle end was just sitting there. Sounded terrible.

3. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

I have a '76 with a part time 203 also. Mine will drive just fine with only front ds installed and hubs locked. I can't remember for sure but I think my speedo still worked. I don't see why it wouldn't anyway.

4. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

you are correct in assuming that it should be drivable in low loc or hi loc with only the front driveshaft. Sounds to me like what mine did "before" i installed the conversion kit. Did you install it? Or someone "say" it had been converted. just a thought. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

My in-laws installed it many years ago.. the t-case was rebuilt last year.. I "Q"d the shop to verify they actually rebuilt it w/ part-time parts.. anyhow I have driven for months w/ out the front shaft in so I pretty much ruled out the wrong rebuild idea /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Soooo I'm going to check the linkage adjustmnet this week end after I get the rear shaft back... then its off to the shop, its still under warranty... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

When I drove mine with the front DS only, I forgot that I had left the rear ujoint straps dangling by 1 bolt each at the rear diff. So by the time I had returned, I lost all the hardware. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I thought I was being clever.

7. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

got 2 spares sitting in the yard if you are in the market

8. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Boots... I'll keep that in mind... going to adjust the linkage Sunday.. if that don't work it's back to the shop while it's still under warranty..