Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP Oil pressure problem, need help to figure it out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, May 4, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I took the factory oil cooler off and put the standard adapter back on (piece the oil filter bolts on to). I took the piece from a 90 block that did not have a cooler. Now I started it up and oil pressure is fine but when I hit the gas it peggs the guage way over 60psi. Is it possible that I put the piece in the wrong way?
    Update: I still have the problem. I spun the adapter around and it still did it, tried a new one and still have the same problem. Oil pressure at idle is fine and when I hit the gas it jumps way up to over 60 psi. Anybody have a clue what is causing it??????

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: Oil pressure problem, need help to figure it out

anybody?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well pressure is just flow being restricted...so it sounds like you have a restriction now. Giving it more gas increases the flow...

I'd guess something is installed wrong. I'm wondering why you removed the factroy oil cooler?

Rene

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Because it was in the way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Actually I removed it because the hoses were looking pretty rough and I was not going to buy new ones. I did leave the little cooler in front of the radiator and I am going to try and use it for a power steering cooler.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

I think the oil filter adapter has a check valve built into it, if I remember right. Maybe it's stuck??

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

anybody have any clue what to do?????????

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you consittered installing another oil cooler ??? I'm planning on a aftermarket unit using dual inline filters. I'm going with the largest unit I can find, with braided steel lines.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Maybe the cooler adapter had a different weight spring in the check valve.

Have you tried to hook the cooler back up and see if it goes back? Can the cooler adapter be by passed and looped back around if thats the case? The cooler should be on the low pressure side I would think.

Drawing at straws here. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

No, I am not going to run another oil cooler.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It might be a different spring but not sure.
    I have not tried to hook it back up. It can probably be bypassed but I would need to get a hose or something made up to do it.

11. Pure Insanity

I am pretty sure the cooler is on the low pressure side. Every aftermarket kit I have seen has barbed fittings and hose clamps. I dont see why you cant just make a loop and clamp it to the ends. Even in GM's infinate wisdom (HAHAHA!) they prob put it on the low side to minimize leaks.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I might try that but I am still wondering why the pressure jumps like it does now.

13. Pure Insanity

Could just be a different weight spring in the cooler adapter. If it goes back like it was its something to do long those lines. If it stays the way it is now, maybe you have gotten something in the oil galley.

14. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it could be a couple of things. I just replaced my Oil Pressure sending unit because it was doing exactly the same thing. Try increasing the throttle a little bit at a time, and see if the gauge slowly increases, then jumps to 60+ suddenly.

I was also thinking the additional lines from the cooler setup could have allowed a pressure drop. What was your max pressure before the changes?

Also, are both of the blocks you have the adapters from the same (i.e. both 1pc rear main seals, Etc)?
    Too bad you aren't closer, I have a handfull of filter adapters sitting around. Any way tou can get a digital pic, so someone can compare that to a known correct adapter?

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

When I slowly increase the throttle it increases some and then all of a sudden it jumps.
    Max before the swap was about 45psi.
    The first adapter I used was from a 90 and the other one is from a 79 (I have it on now). It does the exact same thing with both of them.

16. Erich_in_AZ

That's EXACTLY what mine was doing and it turned out to be a bad sending unit. when it would reach above abot 45-50psi, it would then peg the gauge. It was only $11.00 to replace it. Might be worth a try......

Good luck

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My oil pressure has always been like that.

How does the flow work? Is everything in series or is the cooler a parallel path for the oil? If it is a parallel path then what are experiencing is to be expected. If not, then you are blocking of the flow somehow. What if you use the adapter for the cooler, but just use a short loop of line from the output and back to the input to just bypass the cooler?

Why are you removing the factory oil cooler?

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just might have to give it a shot. It just seems odd that it would go bad with what I did. I guess it might have picked a good time to screw with me if that is the problem.

19. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

mine is a brand new engine, pickup, and everything and it idles at 45psi and peaks under accleration...my old engine did the same thing...i always thought that high old pressure was good because the pressure gauge is on the back side of the filter. if the filter was plugged then the old pressure would drop...right?

20. Erich_in_AZ

In my experience there is nothing wrong with having high oil pressure, especially when the engine is cold. But you also need to have flow to the parts. Something I forgot to suggest would be to make sure you have oil at the rockers when the gauge pegging occurs. If you have a decent amount of oil coming out there, I wouldn't worry too much.