Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help on installing a engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jul 3, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

It's it easy to take a engine out but it is hard to put it back in.
    The holes on the engine ount will not line up with the rubber hole. When ever I drop the engine down it sites a 1" to 1/2" on the side of the hole.
    Is there some truck on doing this?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

2 things. did you reuse all mounts and parts from old? and the rubber mount in the shell when old will drop to the bottom some times and need to be slid back up to line up. try this just a idea.:laugh:

3. adamforsythe

At first I was using new mounts but that was not working. So I took those off and put the old ones back on. Now to goes on almost even with the holes but it is about a inch to the side of the hole in the rubber.
    Thanks
    aDam

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sometimes this is a real PITA

first make sure you are using truck/van engine mount block brackets and that you dont have a car one or pair of them

most likely the way that the hole is not lining up requires that the engine needs to come down further

the only way to get it to do this is to either put one of those factory triangle plate spacers between the block and the bracket, some appplications used these such as some vans, and some cars like firebirds and camaros in the 80s

etc.

sometimes i have had to use none, or one, or a pair

to get the mounts to line up so bolt will go through

trial and error

but make sure you have truck brackets first off, the truck ones have the engine bolt hole farther away from the block, are taller brackets

put them side by side against car ones and youll see this difference,

also i like to take the mounting brackets and get a nice flat file and a nice rat tail file and file all the holes and flat face file the insides where the through bolt goes through, and also the backside of the brackets at the three mounting holes,

to clean them up, sometimes it helps getting bolts through it when installing

good luck

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if this has been offroaded hard the frame will be twisted up. then its just a pita to get in. i have taken my high lift jack and squezed the frame in just a bit before to do this.

6. adamforsythe

I got it. I got my step-dad (he knows his sh!t) Well he left to go get something then I pushed the engine as hard as I could then it lined right up. Then I dropped it down and stuck the bolt in. Then I hoisted the engine up to push the other side in line and let it all of the way down. Then I stuck the bolt in.
    I will go back tonight and put the engine together.
    Thanks
    Adam