Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help on my 77 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Jun 16, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i have a 77 blazer with a 400ci engine..its has edelbrock crap and all the good stuff. a few weeks agod it started to not idle very well for some reson, especially in gear. I replaced the fuel pump and it had been idleing fine for the past 2 weeks. Just today it went back to its old ways of rumbling and barelyy staying running. Also when i stop and go it doesnt also start in 1st gear. i have to roll it a little to pop it into 1st. What could be the problem? i also would like to put a pair of cutouts on my truck..does anyone know if it would sound ok? ive heard cutouts on newer trucks not old ones though. thank you.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

1. Fill out your profile, one of our members may live around the corner from you and can help you out.
    2. The idling problem. Have you done a complete engine tune-up(cap, rotor, plugs, wires, filters, fluids, timing etc) lately? If not, I would go ahead and do that because it probablly needs it anyway and it may solve the idling prob.
    3. Not starting in 1st. I can't help you there.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    4. Cutouts. I have them and they sound great! I have the Flowtech Warlock Mufflers which have the cutouts.
    Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Explain the first gear situation

NITRO

4. bigoltrux77

when im at a stop light and i start to go it lacks power and it sounds like it is starting in 2nd gear..sometimes if i start to roll or give a little bump of gas itll kick in to 1st and i can feel the power. Its a new tranny, with lock up converter. i dont undertstand.

5. bigoltrux77

thanks alot on the cut out advice. Do you know how much a full tune-up would cost me? And could you tell me how hard a 3" body lift woould be to put on my trukc? i just bought one and i would like to know if it is difficult..im not paying 500 bucks for someone else to install it for me.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

3" body lift, easy, just a little time consuming. Full tune up would cost around $30-$50 pending on how fancy you get. It's not hard, just get a Chilton if you don't know how... What kind of Carb do you have? Some Carbs have a filter on them right where the fuel line goes in. If you remove the fuel line you can see it and replace it, or remove and replace with an in-line filter! Also, Go to your local parts store and get some Carb cleaner. Follow the instructions on the back of the can and spray some in your carb as the truck runs, this will clean all the carbon biuldup out of your carb! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Try that, if that doesn't work, you need a decent local mech. to look at it. It's hard to diagnose over a computer... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. bigoltrux77

thank you very much..will those cutouts give me enough horsepower to notice? do you know a way to tell what size carb i have. All i know is that its Edelbrock. And is a manual choke conversion kit worth getting? Mine haas manual but with now cable, so its open all the time. Im trying ask all questions ive ahd.. Lets see.thats all for now. Thank you.

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Manual, Electric???? All in a prefrence! Some like control, some let the computer do it... Your choke isn't the problem right now though. You are loosing fuel at idle and need to know why........ /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I would say get a cable and on the carb is a stamped number I think 5 digits long, refrence it against Edel. list! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Cutouts work very well, but are also illegal in some states... But hey, I don't run cats on my wife's 87, so it's all up to you! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Have you ever thought of getting a waste gate which is lever controled in the cab so you can dumb on a dime???

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check your Choke. It may be holding choke and that will sap the power big time and cause it to idle like garbage. It may be idling down to the point where there is not enough vacume to operate the Modulator on the tranny or it may not be moving enough fluid to go into gear.
    It's possible the tranny has a problem and is dragging down the engine.