Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help on shock installation!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suntadz, Mar 11, 2007.

1. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

Im in the middle of doing the front suspension and replacing my shocks. My problem is on my upper aux shock mount there seems to be about a 1/4 gap thats wider then the shock. My tuff country shocks came with 3 sleeves for the shock bushing. 2 smaller ones and one bigger one in diam. the bigger one looks like it would be a better fit but being a bigger diam it wont fit in the shock bushing. The 2 smaller ones will go right in but then the shock will have about the 1/4" of play between the mount perches. I tried to beat the bigger sleeve in but no luck without damaging the shock bushing. anyone know what the bigger sleeve is for and if the 1/4 gap is ok?
    Also the pin on the tie rod for the steering stab it stuck on and i cant seem to get it off. any ideas on that too? i think there is a cone in there like the sttering arm being a bugger for me but not sure.
    thanks
    robb

bush.JPG

shock.JPG

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I had to add large washers with my TuffCountry also. I think the tie rod pin is tapered.

3. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

ok i got the thinner longer ones out of the ld shock to use and then with a BFH and a monkey wrench broke the other cone free. On my way again

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Are you going to install an aftermarket damper, bypassing the stock mounts?

5. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

no i just replaced a stock one. debated doing the dual setup but got this one already.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Monroe makes an install pack that solves the problem it is only $5.00 for it I think it is a p0019 call Monroe Shocks and ask about an install pack they can give you a number most dealers do not know this or carry it.