Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help on sicking gas pedal...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jan 16, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I washeaded over to my girlfrends place last nigh and got on the go pedal at a light and when I let off the pedal if cae ot to about 20% throttle and stuck for a few second then "let go" to the normal, idle position. t was really cod lat night so I am asuming that may have something to do with it. I have also noticed that hen it iscold out, the gas pedal is prettyhard to push. What can e done to remedy thi situation (both the stiffnss of he gas pdal andthe sticking)? Will removing the able ad utting some light oil in there help at all? thanks gang..

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Yeah there is a lubricant called Tri-Flo I am a real bleiever of it it works great I think its got some silicone in it and it lubes and cleans realy well.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Keep the linkage and the cable lubed. An 87 is TBI, so the gas pedal should be equally hard to push hot or cold.

I have had problems with the linkage from the throttle to the cruise control servo getting hooked on the servo funny so that I have like a 3000rpm idle. You might want to look at that...

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

If you do have a throttle body you may want to check the throttle shaft for play/wear. I have a 89 Astro van and had to replace the TBI unit because the shaft had wore allowing the throttle plate to make contact with the wall of the throttle bore. At first it started out with an extra stiff gas pedal, then after warming up it would be ok. Then later the gas pedal would be hard when cold, then when you went to pull away from a stop sign you had to exert more pressure to the pedal then it would break free and peel rubber until you let up on the gas. This can become a very dangerous malfunction and you should get it checked out. At the time I couldn't find anyone to repair the throttle shaft so I looked all over and found the cheapest OEM throttle body at carparts.com
    good luck

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hear you on that one, Blue. First time my cruise linkage caught up on the servo clip I almost crapped my pants!!!![​IMG]

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

had that same prob a few weeks back as i was approaching a toll plaza
    gets your attention real quick
    but i also had a real stiff gas pedal, and for $15 and in about 15 minutes i replaces the cable and now all is well
    the cruise servo prob i fixed by taking a pair of pliers and squeezing shut the hook where the servo meets the linkage
    i was vibrating half way off and causeing about a 3k idle
    amazing the things these trucks do
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Look real close at the cable. Sometimes they get worn and the steel cable will start to fray. Even one little wire sticking out will cause the throttle to stick. I'v had this happen on a couple of my vehicles.
    Disconnect the throttle cable fron the TBI. Pull the cable in and out to make sure it moves freely. Sometimes it is damaged inside the cable sheath and cant be seen.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

scavenger is probably right on this one. Those TBI units are famous for wearing out the aluminum throttle body around the throttle shafts. They can be repaired with brass inserts.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>