Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help out a little old lady!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 26, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, my grandma has this truck that she uses to pull her trailer out to the lake every year. It's tradition. Her and my grandpa used to go there every year and now that he's gone she still goes to keep it up for the grandkids. Anyways, I think the old buggar's rearend (probably a 10b) finally blew up and she can't afford a new one. I believe her truck is a 79 (its got the one big head light) 1/2 ton. So, I was just wondering, will my 12 bolt from my 81 1/2 fit right in because I'll sell it to her way cheaper than she'll be able to get hers rebuilt. ( I think its a 12 bolt because it has "GM12" stamped into it.) Anyways, all I need to know is if I sell it to her, could I swap everything over without too much hassle? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I just want her to be happy.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it should just bolt right in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, sweet! Thanks man.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

i thingk the yoke is different on the 12 bolt, they used 1310s onstead of 1330s like a 10 bolt. no biggie though, conversion joints are easy to get.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Where can I find a conversion u-joint?

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It'll probably start a fight but I've got to say it...

If it was my grandmother I'd give it to her, put it in for her and wash the truck when I was done. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it was my grandmother I'd give it to her, put it in for her and wash the truck when I was done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree. Maybe you could some supper out of the deal, but I wouldn't ask for money for it.

Kris

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, especially if it was tradition ya know? Im sure grampa would be proud. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't *want* to sell it to her but trust me, she'll give me $ some how! I will not get away without some pay of some sort. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So, I figure if I give her a really good deal then thats good enough.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tell her you want her recepies! I love swinding, i mean, getting recepies from old ladies. They got all the secrets hidden somewhere, and believe me, the hardest one to get was this fried chicken recepie from this old black lady.. she was from alabama... I had to like bribe her for weeks with home made pecan pie! Im sure your grandma probably has tons of recepies I'd like to get my (grubby) hands on. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh yeah, btw, NAPA carries the conversion u-joints that you will need. I dont think you mentioned if the truck was 2wd or 4wd, if its 4, dont forget that the gears need to match, unless grandma doesnt intend on ever putting it in 4wd.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it has round headlights it has a 12 bolt. Worse case if by some VERY small chance it has a different size yoke then just take the yoke off the old axle it will bolt on.

If her truck is a 4x4 then the problem becomes gears. If it's a 2wd then you just need to swap on her 5 lug axle shafts. It's all plug and play.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If it was my grandmother I'd give it to her, put it in for her and wash the truck when I was done.

[/ QUOTE ]

he is lucky you got here before me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was reading the post and thinking WTF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Guys, I don't want to screw my grandma out of money at all! Thats not the point. But I'm saying that my grandma wouldn't just let me give the axle to her with the labor for free.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Guys, I don't want to screw my grandma out of money at all! Thats not the point. But I'm saying that my grandma wouldn't just let me give the axle to her with the labor for free.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, take her money and buy her something she's been wanting, but wouldn't buy becouse she thinks it cost too much. My mother is 70, and loves light houses. I try to pick up the ones I see her checking out. Hell, they're usely $20.00 to $40.00 , but mom can't justifie spending the money. I justifie it by saying she likes them. But anyways, what I'm getting at is most older ladys won't spend the money, even if it's something they want. So you could do that if you wanted too.

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks, thats a good idea.

16. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he is lucky you got here before me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was reading the post and thinking WTF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only imagine. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this... Go get the truck and fix it, tell her you discovered some $5 muffler bearing thingy that was broke and fixed it. When she tries to pay you tell her again it was cheap and go for the recipes or pie like previously mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Good old muffler bearings! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

so now you want him to lie to his grandma. tsk tsk. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif just messin wit ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif