Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, overheating problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77k5, Oct 28, 2000.

1. 77k5

77k5 Registered Member

I have a 350 that is getting hot going up hills, and cools down going down hills, I've replaced all the normal stuff (new radiator, water pump, heater core, and a new therm.) and I have backed off on the timming. I've been told that a trany could cause the engine to run hot, the transmission lines were hot, I couldn't hold them for a second, Is this normal?

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What kinda fan do you have? Clutch or direct?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

3. 77k5

77k5 Registered Member

I've had a flex fan with shroud, and a stock clutch fan on it with shroud, and now I have a 16 in. electric fan. It has done the same thing with all three fans.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming auto trans...
    With everything you've done so far, I'd say it's time for a real transmission cooler. Get a good-sized one (20,000 lb. GVW) and your trouble should be over.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I would definately recommend a tranny cooler. Also what temp. thermostat is in it?? Was it replaced?? try a 195. Also try prestones cooling system flush even though you've replaced a lot of cooling system items. Sometimes you get build-up in the block as well, this will clean it real well.......js

6. 77k5

77k5 Registered Member

I have a 160 therm. in it right now, I've had a 180 in it and a 195 and it really got hot. The engine now has about 2,000 miles on it. I have a trany cooler but I mounted it a little bit down, I thought it would help the air flow through the radiator, but that didn't work, What is being used as a tranny cooler really looks like the coils off of an old ac unit.

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    This may be kinda obvious but do you still have the fan shroud?

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My das 454 vette was doing this, turns out the radiator was restricted towards the bottom. Radiator was rodded out and no more problems. Hope this helps.

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sorry did'nt see you repalced the radiator. Could it be a rstiction in the block?

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sorry did'nt see you repalced the radiator. Could it be a restriction in the block?

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i was having the sameprob this past summer, but i have not seen it since i have staying out of OD in the hilly areas. Some things that i notices was it would not only get hot when i was going up a hill but if i had a strong head wind. I think that mine was mostly the trany slipping due to the extra power needed to push a barn down the highway. I am plainning to change my rear-end, when i get the money from 3.42 to 4.10 or 4.56, and i am hopping that that will help to. Let me know what you good info you get.

brettmcox.coloradok5.com