Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help please: anyway to check electric choke to see if it works ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Feb 21, 2004.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i have two disassembled electric choke mechanisms here and i may be converting my thermo choke to electric, any way to check to see if the electric's work ? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hook them up to 12v and see if the spring moves.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it may not move immediately but like he said. I did this for a while. last year I was running the electric choke manually on my K5, unplugging it when I wanted to shut it off.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check to make sure the electric chokes will fit. *SOME* Q-jets won't accept the electric choke, they are cast differently in that area.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was wondering since we are on electric chokes, does the later 70's with the heat choke and hose bib on casting accept the electric choke? I have a friend (heep owner ) with 2 barrel soon to be q-jet off old car and wants my old electric choke from my original carb ( couldn't bear to pitch it just needs bushed)? I assume youjust slip in electric unit and tighten down the 3 screws.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC you have to replace all the choke pieces underneath the choke coil as well. I really can't recall why exactly with wouldn't fit. I *think* maybe it was the way the coil mounted to the carb itself.

Quite a few people have done the swap on here, apparently, I'm the only one thats run into this, so it may be that only one or two vaariants won't fit right.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif