Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help please ASAP! How to get PS pulley off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Jun 13, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I don't know if I have a press-on or keyway pulley. I don't know how to distinguish the two. But can anybody tell me how to get either kind off? I'm stumped and want to get done before dark. Thanks

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Funny, I just finished doing mine. What I did was went down to the local Auto Zone and rented the Power Steering Pulley Puller. They took a $40 deposit that they give back to you. It also puts it back on. Easy way to do it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, it's one of those jobs that you need the right tool for. You need the tool to both remove and reinstall the pulley. Those babies are on there TIGHT! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah i replaecd it too and that's what you'll have to do. trust me.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Too bad you don't just have one. 40 bucks seems like a lot for a deposit but if it's what you have to do, well I guess you need to do it.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My local Auto Zone actually did it for me, so there was no need to put down the deposit. Pretty cool considering that I bought my pump from Kragen /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif !

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm last tool I used from the Zone that they charged the deposit was only $20. Course when I need a tool I usualy talk to Jim (the manager) and he doesn't charge me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I quess when your in there a couple times a week and the manager knows you have spent thousands you get to be a prefured customer. Funny with the exception of the snot nosed high school kids working summer jobs I usualy get the "Cheers" greeting. .....You know you walk in and they all say "Hi Grimmy!"

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey petakane please use the tool when my DUMB ass was doing my engine rebuild several years ago i just forced off the pully and ended up bending it and had to buy a new one from the dealership DOH!

bawhahahah sounds like my autozone when i was working on my OBA setup they gave half a dozen belts to try and told me to bring back what i don't need and to pay for the one i keep at that time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I asked them why it was so high and they said that that was how much the tool was to buy. So if they lose it, they break even. I guess that other tools would have different deposites on them. The Auto Zone here has only been open a few weeks so they are just getting to know me. But they will.......

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, if the tool doesn't get returned, then they aren't out any money. So the fancier the tool is, the bigger the deposit they require. That way they don't have to waste time hunting down people that skip out with their tools.