Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help please: Broke a bolt off in.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Apr 20, 2004.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Was changing my timing, and it was getting dark and got in a hurry /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and tightened the cam bolts to far and broke one off even with the cam...... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Think this could be drilled out or am I going to have to get another cam set? I hate this cause it's my main tow rig for my lawn service........oh well guess I'll have to put the k-10 into action for this week, Thanks Y'all

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like your going to have to pull the cam either way... might be time to upgrade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

if not, I would imagine anything can be drilled out, the only question would be finding someone to do it that wont mess up any lobes.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Try one of those nifty left hand bits. Its not going to be in there too hard so its just a matter of spinning it out far enough to get a grip on it.

4. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'd try to drill it & use an "easy-out". Might not be too bad to remove since the bolt doesn't "bottom out" on the tapped hole. (atleast it shouldn't unless your bolts are too long? Be sure & check that this isn't what caused the initial breakage). Be sure & keep the drill shavings out of your oil pan & such. I'd give this a whirl before pulling lifters & cam. Good luck!

5. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Thanks y'all,

My dad tried to help me out by working on it while I was at work and bless his heart somehow another the ez-out broke the cam hole out pretty good. Oh well no worries that one lasted a year let's see how long this one will last lol.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

holy cow!! you guys , slow down alittle, the bolts probably not in there very tight, so, you could probably use a small chisel, place the sharp end against thebolt with just a corner touching it, near the top of the bolt (as you look at it)using the smallest hammer you have, tap it at an angle towards the counterclockwise direction. it should turn with a little work. turn it out enough to get a hold on it with something and you win.... good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif