Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP please! Car won't move/shift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HoustonK5, Sep 28, 2001.

1. HoustonK5

HoustonK5 Registered Member

HELP please! Car won\'t move/shift

I did the 4 row radiator swap and put in a transmission cooler. That's it, and the car has been sitting for about 2 weeks in one place. Here's the symptom:

Put the car in gear, any gear, and it doesn't do anything. No lurching, no movement, nothing.

What could I have disconnected, forgotten to do, etc to make the transmission quit shifting?

The shifting linkage seems to be working. I can see it moving inside the engine bay on the steering shaft, and I can see it shifting on the side of the tranmission (although I'm not sure if it's actually doing much right at the tranny)

All hoses are connected, parking brake off...can't think of any obvious stupid things I could have done.

Any help would be extremely appreciated

Looking for a K5 now

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP please! Car won\'t move/shift

Almost sounds as if there is a blockage of t-fluid. Maybe the rad. is plugged up.

Keep it simple <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71</a>

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you check transmission fluid ? You probably lost a lot withe the radiator swap ...never know

4. HoustonK5

The radiator is brand new, so that should be okay. It might be the fluid, since I added that more distance to the whole chain..I'm going to try that now, but could that completely stop a tranny from shifting? Kinda weird.

Anyway, gonna go fill it up now and see

Looking for a K5 now

5. HoustonK5

Ok. Thanks so much for you help. It was the t-fluid. Put 2 quarts in and no more problems. Didn't think I lost that much fluid but I guess I did.

I knew it had to be something stupid!

Looking for a K5 now