Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help please! Q-jet problems I think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, May 25, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My project 83 Blazer seems to have a what I think is a carb related problem. It will run fine for days and then suddenly while cruising along it will start to sputter and die. When the sputtering starts I push the gaspedal to the floor and let it clean out it will run fine again. I changed the fuel filter yesterday but it still does it, something sticking in the carb /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    then suddenly while cruising along it will start to sputter and die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it do it any other time? Does it do it under acceleration or load? Also, does it do it right after warming up? or just out of nowhere? If it's random, I have a couple ideas.

1. The float in your carb maybe going bad?
    2. Fuel pump is starting to crap out on you?

Those may not be your problems, but it's a place to start. Anybody else go any ideas?

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It seems to me that it is random. Example - This morning I leave my house, get on the freeway, after 20 minutes on the freeway I get off and stop at a traffic light, when starting from the light it will start to sputter, I floor it and it kind of cleans out and then it runs normal again.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I had that once on my original carb. Even had to pull the top while fishing once to clear it up. I found that my vapor canistor went bad and the carb sucked in little charcoal pieces ( dumb vacuum hoses ). May not be your problem , but fuel pumps are 13 bucks, try that anyway and save yours for a spare /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif