Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP PLEASE T case ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, Jul 15, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was trying to tell if my rear end was fawked or if my transfer case is fawked, so I took out the rear drive shaft and I was able to turn both yokes (axle and t case) about an inch, is that bad?
    Then I wanted to see if I have a part time kit or not, the previous owner installed hubs but it looked like the front drive line was turning when driving . so after removing the rear drive line I put it in reverse and nothing happened so I locked in the hubs and it went into gear and I backed it outta the drive way turned around and started up the road. About30 ft. later there was a big CLUNK and the front stopped turning so I had to coast backward into the garage... WTFThen after letting it sit it works again but is doing some wierd ass sh!t.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Can you get it to my house? If so, we can take it to a guy up the street who can tell you EXACTLY what's up with it.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah I can put the rear drive shaft back in when can I come over?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

anyone else have any ideas?????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    so I took out the rear drive shaft and I was able to turn both yokes (axle and t case) about an inch, is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal gear lash from what I've seen.

If it was converted to part time, with it in 2HI you should be able to turn the front driveshaft by hand easily.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    so after removing the rear drive line I put it in reverse and nothing happened so I locked in the hubs and it went into gear and I backed it outta the drive way turned around

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you shift the transfer case? Or was it in it's usual 2HI position? Was the big clunk during a turn? Might be the front wheels binding with only the front shaft driving them.

Or then again, maybe you found my recipe for Snakebite irresistible. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am going to see Jamie tomorrow night w/ Jason Brown to drop off his axle. Jamie's about 4 blocks from my house. How about tomorrow night at 5:30? I tell ya, Jamie's DA MAN when it comes to this type of stuff!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just tried all positions on the shifter and it wstill drove the front and I think it needs a new chain anyhow so I'm gonna order the part time kit too, I'll wait and see if that fixes it if not then I'll be needing DA MAN to look at it...LOL thanks guy's.
    Also I just pulled the dif cover and eveything looks good except for normal wear, and as for the vibration I was having I figured that out too, I didn't have the ujoints lined up on my front shaft.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I found a chain at Summit for 83.00 does anyone know where to get one cheaper....... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif