Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Please...Trailer Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Sep 8, 2005.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My neighbor has asked me to look at their fifth wheel and see if I can adjust the trailer brakes. I determine that the brakes are not working at all and begin the process of troubleshooting the system. After a LOT of trial and error testing the only way I could get the brakes to fully actuate was too either apply power directly to the brake itself, or take the power wire and brake wire from the brake controller and manually connect them together. Since connecting the wires manually gets the brakes to fully actuate I feel the wiring is ok, but the brake controller is not. Is that right? The brake controller is just a switch more or less right?

What would you guys recommend for a inexpensive brake controller for a dual axle fifth wheel, think it is like 21ft and only like 6000 lbs. Any opinions appreciated, I have no idea what a good unit is and they aren't looking for anything special, just something that works. It has a Tekonsha(sp?) and would prefer something else. TIA

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

What model tekonsha is it? If it is inertia activated, then it will only send power to the brakes when the brake pedal is applied and it senses a rate of decelleration, unless the manual lever is actuated.
    FWIW I have used draw-tite, powermaster, and many different tekonsha controllers. My favorite is the tekonsha prodigy. I now have the prodigy in both my tow vehicles. It is the most pleasurable braking experience that I have had yet. It's a bit pricey, but when it comes to brakes, you really shouldn't skimp out. The cheap ones are $50 and the pricey ones $120, and I have yet to see an accident that cost less then $70. Just my point of view anyway!

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It has a voyager now, and the problem is that even when using manual lever it does not apply hardly any power to the brakes. Don't have a voltmeter to check voltage, but basically the tires will turn easy by hand.

This is probably the last year they will use it and don't want to drop alot of money into it. FWIW, the last two trips they made they had NO brakes at all, so even a basic model will be an improvement :eek1: