Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cole01, May 26, 2005.

1. cole01

cole01 Newbie

I have an 80 k-10 and I am planing a build up but need guidence. I want to start with a lift but I dont know how big I should go 6" or 8" which company has the best lift? I want to run 39.5 boggers. Is this too much tire for stock drive train? :confused: The truck is not going to be show quality by any means. I will cut the fenders, and would like to have 39.5's but if I have to for reliability I would go with a 37 or 38.5. Is a regular swamper a better choice than a bogger? Rough country has a 6" that is resonably priced. Is this a good product?

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

you'll need beefier axles at the least with you lift, 10 bolts aren't known for holding up to much beyond stock tires, other guys here can point you in the direction of what you need to do for everything else like your tcase probably need shims, axles need to be shimmed to reduce driveline angle, probably need new driveshafts with that much lift, better brakes, crossover steering probably as well

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I run 39.5s with 5" of lift and cut fenders and I sometimes rub at full stuff. as for drive train , that depends on what you do with the truck. Lockers increase the chance of breaking stuff, so does your right foot. I have a dana44 front thats open with the 39.5s on and have never broken it. the way I see it ,I can spend $1200+ on a front dana60, or with dana44 shafts at about $100 I can break and fix 12 times...

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the question to ask yourself is "why do I want x" of lift?". Is it for the look? is it to fit bigger tires? In general terms, the more you lift, the more it will cost and the more complications (steering, driveshafts, brake lines etc etc) come up. If you just want to fit big tires and don't really care about lifting super high, trim the fenders. If you're going for show truck bling, then be prepared to mod a lot of stuff.

yes, boggers are relatively heavy for their height. I wouldn't run them on 1/2 ton stuff unless street-only / show truck are the goals.

j

5. cole01

cole01 Newbie

Thanks for the guidance

I am definetly not building a show truck by any means. I do want to fit bigger tires, I will cut the fenders without hesitation. I would still like to run the big 39.5 boggers but would be willing to step down to a 37 if I had to. So it sounds like I am going to go with a 6" lift and some finder trim. The truck will be just a trail ride and hunting truck so I am not worried about looks. Thanks again for all the response. I hope to get some pics as soon as posible.