Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help please!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roy87, Dec 19, 2006.

1. roy87

roy87 Registered Member

well my weekend started off crapy it all started out thursday night when i was on my way from base to my girlfriends house and i was coming down a slight down hill and i downshifted and i both heard and felt this loud pop. my tires locked up and i came to a stop along the side of the road. so i get out of my k5 and i look underneeth and my drive shaft is laying on the ground. after i found out that it snaped the yoke and i had been hearing this noise come from under the truck for a little while i ended up taking off the rear dif. cover and needless to say any gears that were in there are completely shot now i pulled them out by the hand full. my question is does anyone happen to know what kind of gears come stock in the 87's its a 10bolt if that helps anyone. i'm not to smart when i comes to this and when i took it to a shop they wanted to put a locker in and that was going to run me 1200 to 1400 dollars. i figured if i knew what kind of rearend was in it i could go to a junk yard and pick up a used one and put some new bareings in it for alot cheaper than that....any advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks Leroy

2. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Stock is 3.08 I believe. Check the glovebox for the RPO code sheet and look them up. Google for a code translator. It will tell you what you had (provided no one has monkeyed with the rear axle). I don't know 100% if the ratios were stamped into the ring gear on the stock setup or not. You may be able to peice it together enough to read or count the splines.

You can find 10bolts on here all day long for dirt cheap. I've even got a set I'll be selling first of next year.

Of course you will get the standard reply "swap in a 14 bolt" which is sage advise if you can find one cheap. It opens up a world of choices though on lug pattern, brakes & finding the right gear ratio.

Do a search and you'll no doubt find 100's of threads of people in the same boat.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The largest gear that is in there, which is LIKELY still in one piece, if missing smaller chunks, is the ring gear. There are posts that tell you how to deceipher the stamped in numbers along it's edge, which will tell you exactly what you have.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have a 10 bolt rear that you can have if you pay for shipping. Figure out what parts you need and pm me. I believe that this is 3.73 gearing in this one.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In 87 the most common gear ratio was 3.42 but you could also have 3.08
    Try to find the RPO codes or read the numbers off the gears.

6. roy87

roy87 Registered Member

thanks for all the help if i can get a new rear end by the time that i leave for newyears than i might just have a running blazer when i get back...thanks for all the help. greatly appreciated...Roy