Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Sep 19, 2001.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Just a quick question. My blazer suddenly decided not to start. no lights, nothing. the lights didnt get left on or anything but nothing. when i hook up the jumper cables to another car all power is restored but the damn thing still wont start. is this likely to be my starter? any other possibilities?

2. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Could be battery.How do the cables and ends look. If the posts and cable endss are corroded that could also cause the same problem. Clean the terminal ends and battery posts first. then the battery if that doesn't help.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

By "won't start" do you mean "no cranking" or "cranking, but no fire"?

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Run a voltage meter across your battery terminals while the jumpers are connected. You should get 12 volts. Now disconnect the positive lead on the jumper cable and it should slowly drop from 12 down. If it immediately drops to 0 volts, you have a severe short somewhere, if it immediately drops to 9 or 6 volts, you might have a bad cell in your battery which could load down the jumpers so as not to start.

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

That makes sense but where could the short be? the wire to the starter is fine. the wire from starter to alternator is fine. the wire to my ignition should not have an effect on draining the battery. it just sends a small amount of power. could the starter be draining my battery?

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

it never gathers the power to start. it tries but doesnt seem to have the power. it shows 12 volts on my gauge when the cables are connected but as soon as they come off there is absolutely no power.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You have an alarm? If so make sure nothing is messed up there. I had one... wasn't supposed to kill the truck. It got messed up somehow and wouldn't let it turn over until I called the maker of the alarm and he gave me a code to try. Walked out tried it and it fired right up... go figure....

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

8. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

nope no alarm but thanks though. the thing worked fine and then ten minutes later it had absolutely nothing when i tried to start it. i would think if it were battery it would be more gradual.

9. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Does it turn over, or do you here a click from the starter solinoid?

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Get the battery checked... if it's bad then it won't hold a charge from the alt and then just die...

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

11. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Sometimes batteries go like that. I had one on a former truck that I had the truck running, forgot something in the house, shut it down and came back 10 seconds later to a dead truck.

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've seen starters short and drain like this , but I think that would show itself with the cables hooked up with a good electrical stench or a puff of smoke. Chances are its your battery. Try bypassing the battery all together by connecting the jumper cables directly to the pos and neg connectors (battery removed and be sure to keep the positive clear of any ground.) Leave the donor car off and give it a turn on the ignition. If you get anything more than you were getting with the battery in, then you've isolated the problem to your battery! Good luck!

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

13. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

sounds like corrosion to me...pull the terminals...clean well and reinstall or a quick fix....mix baking soda and water and pour over the terminals til you have time to clean

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

14. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Are your gauges coming alive with the turn of the key? Check your wires running down to the starter from the alternator. Mine were grounding out on the clip that keeps them off the headers and I am re-routing them around the frame. It was just a tiny slit but it was enough.if the gauges are not coming alive then check to make sure ALL the wires are connected to the starter(expeireance talking from truck sitting while camping with the family; wife really upset that it took 3 hours to figure it out when it was time to go home).

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 33's

15. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Clean and check tight both ends of both your battery cables, including the ground on the engine.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

16. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

My Blazer had similar problems starting because of dirty battery cables. I had the cheap cables that are open ended which seemed to corroded and turn blue over time. When they are corroded like this they will not accept a jump from another vehicle because there is too much resistance.

I simply cleaned them off with a wire brush and soaked the ends in some baking soda and water. Plus it helps to have sealed ends on your battery cables.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My Jimmy did something similar to me once. I drove to football practice no problem. Went to practice came back out afterward and my truck wouldn't even crank. I got interior lights, but they were very dim. Tried jumping it, nothing. It turned out to be the battery. They tried to tell me the battery was good when I got to autozone, so don't trust them. Borrow a battery from another car or a friend like I had to and see if your truck will start.

18. Check the connections on the starter. I've had TWO Chevy's that did the exact same thing, one minute fine, and the next minute dead as a doornail. Both times it turned out to be loose connections on the starter. The first time it happened I spent HOURS trying to figure it out. The second time, in a different car, I checked the connections when everything went dead, and sure enough it was a connection that was only finger tight. Usually the the most simple solution is the correct one.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

19. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

What kind of battery is it? top only or top and side both? some times only the top or side will work....corrosion inside the battery will ruin one or the other. Check to make sure the battery is grounded to the body and that the motor ground strap is attatched.

chris

PS when you have the battery checked make sure thatt they use the terminals that you use.ie...top or side.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This same thing just happened to me about a month ago. Replaced the battery (verified to be dead with NAPA's tester when I turned it in), cleaned the cable ends at the battery (other ends of cables were done recently), hooked back up and she now cranks faster than ever before.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"