Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i just put in my lift, it has the shims on the rear, i replaced both u joints, and i have a low rpm, low speed vibration. and i think i have checked every thing. i even pulled teh inspection plate off the bell housing to check the t/c, and it is all set. air pressure is good, and tire need to be balanced, and i dont think it is those, because if you get shift down it goes away. motor is well tuned, and the tranny was redone and has had regular service since

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Are you running the same tires as before the lift? Usually with shims you also have to lower the Tcase some to keep your angles equal.

3. milspecjimmy

tires are the same, and i lowered it with the shims that are on the bolts from the factory. think i should get some different bolts and go lower? its fuel injected, so the intake angle wont really matter

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think you are gonna need to buy a magnetic angle finder and start measuring. There is no one answer for all trucks, too many variables.

5. milspecjimmy

the angle ate the rear end looks pretty good, the one at the t case is a little steep. and where i can get a longer more rugged aftermarket rear shaft?

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1350 hi angle front driveshaft from Arizona Driveline and I am VERY satisfied with it. I talked to Oscar and he knew his business. I would recommend a cv rear driveshaft, but for now you need to make the angle at the Tcase match the angle at the rearend.

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

this might sound stupid , when you lower the t-case with the spacers, your actually lowering the tranny and engine too . am i correct on this?.
    i am about to install my 4" lift , so i am looking at all posts involving the job. pretty simple job , just thinking
    about how to correct the angles and the vibrations caused .

8. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

you are correct, it's all gonna have a lean to it, not a bad idea to pop the dist. cap before doing this, better to be safe than sorry,in case you smash it into the firewall a bit much. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You're not really lowering the whole engine and tranny. What you are doing is lowering the back half or the engine and tranny. Your motor mounts will remain in the same place, but the engine will tilt back on them. In some cases the distributer can hit the firewall or the fan can hit the top of the shroud. Usually a 1-1.5" drop will not cause these problems. When you shim the rearend to point the pinion up and lower the Tcase to point the output down, you want the angles to be equal between opposite angles on opposite ends like so:
    X Y
    y X

Sorry if I have confused you, but that is about as good as I can do without being able to draw it out. Also, one more piece of advice. Don't buy one of those crappy Tcase lowering kits. Use some solid steel stock (like 1" plate or 1" and 1/2" plate) cut into a recatange with holes drilled for the bolts. That way you get more surface area for support.

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

One time I did my u-joint and it didn't seat right and had the same kind of vibration.

11. milspecjimmy

your diagram was perfect, and i am going to lower it 1.5 inches in the morning after i get the new bolts. thanks for all the help guys, ill let you know

~~~Jeff