Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

???????help please????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by megaz, Apr 14, 2003.

1. megaz

megaz Newbie

hey guys.....i have a question

i have a 78 k5 and the front drive shaft will spin in 2 wheel drive....it has a manual tranny in it and the transfer case is the gear driven 4 hi 2 hi 4 lo one....dont know the # of it

we jacked the truck up compleatly off the ground...pointed it at the field...just in case it decided to leave... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and put it in gear....1st nothing,2nd nothing 3rd,nothing,but in 4th gear the front drive shaft started to spin.
    i can stop it with my hand and a towel... it only does it at about 35 and over on the spedo...
    what should i look for to adjust???
    or is this normal?
    thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's sounds like it's just parasitic drag, it's pretty normal. </font>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

it is normal. it is just the friction in the case that causes the slow paracitic drag that turns the driveshaft. Most every chevy i have ever seen does it.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmm. never heard of it i wonder if my suburban with the 400/241 does it.

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My truck with a 203 and part time kit and hubs does it. The axle shafts also spin slowly. Completely normal. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. megaz

megaz Newbie

thanks guys...a guy had stopped me on the hiway cause he noticed it...come to find out he noticed it cause it was welded back by a previous owner crooked....lol
    i pulled it off and am getting a new one....
    thanks again!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif