Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Nov 24, 2000.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

My alternator is going out and need to get a new one my ? is what is the best amp rating to get? I have 4 spot lights and 2 fog lights on the front bumper and 4 driving lights under the Blazer and 2 driving lights in back and will be getting a waren winch and duel batteries this spring. So would a 100 amp work good or do i need a 120? Thanks in advance

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

2. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

100 amp alternator would be ok a 120 would be a little better. If you use the correct electronic pieces (ie. power diverter) to ease the load off your alternator when high powered accessories are used, you wont burn up your alternator. Two batteries is a must though.A misconception people have is that added accessories(high powered stereo systems,winches etc...)need a blazing hot alternator. Not necessarily. If you have an older vehicle that only puts out 65 amps then yes a higher amp alt. is necessary.Any more electrical questions I would be happy to help you with if i can cause that is what I do for a living. ROCK ON!

3. mudhog

my blazer is a 77 and only has the 65 amp now and no power diverter. how hard is it to install a power diverter? and how much are they? also i have heard that the 120s need more rpm's is this true and if given the choice would you use 100 or 120? thanks in advance

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Man, that's a lot of lights![​IMG]. I figure what size I need by what the maximum amount of stuff I run at one time. For example, if I run 5-100 watt, 4- 55 watt, and 2 65 watt lights, thats 850 watts. At 12-13 volts, that's around 60- 70 amps alone! It adds up quick. Just add up all the power you need, and buy accordingly. From what I understand most of the alternators are not rated at idle- but somewhere in the 1000-1500 rpm range, so keep that in mind as well. Hope that helps.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey i have a question for you i have an 86 blaz all stock i have already mounted and placed a second battery in the truck, the second one is not hooked up. and i was planing to buy the hellroaring unit to work with the battery power distribution i plan on having an inverter, two amp speaker system, winch, and some auxiliary lights what kind of alternator work should i have done if any? what kind of MDS set up is best for a vehicle i was loooking at some of there equipment and i don't understand how all of the componets work together. thanx for any help.
    Anthony

6. mudhog

the reason i have 4 driving lights under the truck is i have one pointing at each tire 4 night runs so me and the spotters can see what my tires are doing or going over lol the way i look at it is you cant have to much light

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey bud, Wrangler Products NW has a real nice selection of alternators..........I have their 140 amp unit with a direct charge cable on my 79. Only problem is they are kinda spendy.......like around $220, someone told me you can get an out of the box AC Delco 140 amp alternator for around $129.......not sure of the part numbers or anything.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

8. mudhog

where can i find the ac delco one at i am having a hard time finding even a 100 amp one from the parts stores:(

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I don't know if they are good or not, but summit racing sells Powermaster high output alternators. I think they even have a 200 amp version.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]