Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help... possible blown head gasket... I think.. HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Nov 2, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Drove the blazer home last night.. first time driving it. Got to the gas station to put some petrol in her and thought i smelled something. no big deal... just put headers on it, i figured paint burning off.. NOPE popped the hood a few miles down the road... Oil is spewing onthe headder. Now i started to worrie... It wasn't bad, not down on oil bad, so I drove the rest of the way home at about 45 watching the oil pressure and temp... Temp was a tick over 210 and pressure was good... 50 - 60 lbs. The oil is going on the header above the oil filter and looks to be coming inbetween the head and the block. it smells like antifreeze under the hood..and some smoke out of the driverside exhaust(had a friend follow me this morning, i knew those duals would be good diagnostic tools, haha) Bottom line im pretty frustrated and blowing off some steam. the motor is a 350.

Finally done after 8 months.. Not really.. IM never going to be done. Stroker motor is next

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If the exhaust smoke is white, it is probably coolant burning. Good chance it is a head gasket. I have not seen an oil leak between the head and block. I can't think of how oil would leak there. Usually a leak in that area is from a valve cover gasket, but you would see oil on the head above the block. Antifreeze smell under the could be a leak puddling somewhere. I'd take a close look for leaks and puddles on the intake, or around heater and radiator hoses. If the truck sits a day or two and you look at the sparkplugs you can sometimes see rust on the plugs where the gasket is bad. Good Luck.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Another oil leak possibility is at the rear corner of the intake manifold and the oil is running around the corner of the head and down the side. If you degrease the area and run it you might be able to isolate it.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pull the plugs. If it's getting into the exhaust it has to go through the engine unless the head cracked into an exhaust passage and thats very rare. Usualy when you blow a head gasket the plug for the cylinder is unusaly clean compaired the the rest because it gets steam cleaned while the engine runs. #7 and #8 cyliners is where they usualy blow. Most V8's don't cool the rear 2 cylinders as well as the rest.
    I doubt your oil leak is due to the head gasket. There is no presurized oil passages in the head just drain holes. The oil gets into the heads through the valve push rods. The leak is valve cover or intake.
    NAPA sells a kit for detecting exhaust in the coolant and before you go pulling the head it would be worth buying one of these and testing. Also check that you don't have coolant in the oil. Pulling the dipstick you will see a chocolate milk colored foam on the stick and that would indicate coolant in the oil.
    Doing a head gasket is not a real bad job but does take a lot of time. You might as well do both heads and clean and reseat the valves while your at it. I have gotten away with hand laping the valves and using a machinest rule to check for warp in the head and deck on cast iron heads. Also if you have the intake off check the exhaust passage for the EGR. They like to get plugged up under the carb/throttlebody and cause run problems.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Heres somemore info...

the dipstick's oil is fine... But if i open the filler cap.. Ive got that chocolate milk foam all over... the coolent is discolored also. There is oil leaking on the header in the back of the motor on the drivers side. I can't find any place where oil is leaking down from.. Could i have a craked block or something? Its leaking alot of oil. The only thing changed on the motor recently is how the PVC valve is setup The way it was setup up the PVC valve was hooked into a vacumm line with the brake booster... its setup now so it goes into a line with what looks like part of the charcol canister. What ever the oil leak is.. when you rev it up it smokes like a bastard. and there is oil in the last plug boot on the drivers side... none above it from running dow.. just some from over spray or something..

Finally done after 8 months.. Not really.. IM never going to be done. Stroker motor is next

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Heres somemore info...

Stop driving it. If you got that foam in the cap you got serious problem. That will wipe out the bearings in a hurry.
    If your planning on doing the 383 I would go a head and do it. Even if the heads are ok and you get away with just head gaskets your looking $200 easy if you do it yourself. That would include Gaskets, Tap to clean out threads. If you have it appart you always atleast hand lap the valves and replace the valve guide seals. Your going to pull the water pump so if it isn't less than a year old replace it. If it were me and I had the foam I would be dropping the pan and inspecting the oil pump. So add for gaskets there. Got the pan off might as well toss in a timming chain. Then once you get it all back together your going to be sweating wether the bearings did get damaged.
    If you been planning on doing the 383...nows the time. It would be cheaper in the long run because you arleady buying many of the parts it is going to take.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

I\'ve got 1/2 of it figured out...

The oil thats spewing all over is coming from the dipstick hole in the drivers side, apparently a plug came out. The motor is a target master 350 or goodwrench so it has dipstick holes on both sides. But wheres the foam in the cap coming from.. I took it off the road and re licensed my truck. Im going to get a plug today and fix the oil leak... then change the oil and see how the old stuff looks.. it only has about 40 mile on the oil. Is it possible that the foam is from condensation from not driving the thing in a year? its only miles in the last year or 2 are moving it around the shop and a trip to the exhaust shop. I don't know how long the foam has been there but there isn't any foam in the pan..

On another note if i get a stroker motor its going to be all new parts and this motor would be just pulled out and sold more than likely.

Thanks
    Steve