Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! possible choke or carb. or vacuum problem??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Feb 9, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

My blazer has been sitting for about 2 months untouched. It seemed to have small choke problems before. I started it today and it ran like absolute crap. It was shaking and started quietly backfiring at idle. When I tried to pull out of the driveway to drive it, it would not even backup. It started to move and then it just quit. It has never done anything like this before and besides a couple of choke problems when colder has run perfectly. Last time it was running it was much warmer outside than today. This is my second blazer and I have never had any sort of problem like this. Any ideas as to what this could be or what I can check to find the problem would be very helpful.
    Thanks.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Check for water in the fuel from being frozen or near frozen,condensation,etc,etc,........Pull the fuel filter out carefully the dump the contents into a clear glass jar to see if you have water.
    Bill

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

would it help to fill it up with new gas? should I empty the existing 1/4 tank? I will check the filter today.

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

any other ideas???

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would it help to fill it up with new gas? should I empty the existing 1/4 tank? I will check the filter today.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't really need to empty it if it's only 1/4 full, go to the auto parts store and buy some of that water removing stuff to put in the tank and try filling with some super unleaded fuel, the extra octane may help out with the "flat" fuel thats in the tank, when they sit for long periods of time, the "flamable" material in the fuel evaporates over time, makes the gas not burn as easily. this is just to add on to the other guys idea if it is in fact condensation or water in the fuel. How old is the carb on it, has it ever been rebuilt? maybe it's time?

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

well the carb looks stock, making it almost 20 years old. I changed the plugs and it started and ran better but still poorly. I thought maybe I would change cap/rotor, points, etc. maybe some condensation problems or something. Next is the fuel additive though. The temps have been extra low for washington but nothing really below 10 degrees F or anything. It has only been 2-3 months. is that enough time for fuel to go bad?