Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Power rear window rolls down but not up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, May 27, 2005.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

My window will roll down but not up. I bought a new motor and that is not the problem. It used to work fine and then stopped one day. could it be the switch? Anyone run in to this before. Are there seperate fuses for up and down? :confused:

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you try both the switch on the dash and the key switch in back?

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

the key switch does not work because I never recieved the key. The front switch used to work fine and one day the window just wouldn't roll up with the switch.

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

probably the switch, the motor uses the same wires and fuse for up and down

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

sounds like the cable to me, mine did this a few months back, would roll down but not up.

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I have unplugged the cable and only attatched the motor and it only spins when i push the switch to the down position.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

hmm, got me there. may be like one of the other replies. I do know how you can raise it up if you need to for the time being, get a drill and close the chuck onto the end that connects to the motor, then slowly raise it up.

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

umm take off the switch and remove the electrical connector to the back of it and take a small gage wire and connect one end to the power and the other to the up wire and see if it works is so then the switch is not making contact between the power and up position wire try cleaning it up and see if you can fix it if not I believe lmc sells them for like $7

9. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

There is a silly safety switch (at least on my sub) in the tailgate latch on the passenger side that will only allow the window to roll up if that switch is depressed. You can try bypassing that switch and see if the window will roll up.

Dave

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Chevy Addict's right on. There's a safety switch (IIRC, on the right side latch) that keeps the window from being rolled out when the tailgate is down.

I think it's stupid and I'd bypass the damn thing, as they fail all the time, resulting in exactly the symptom you describe.

Should be a pair of light blue wires; remove the access panel inside the t-gate, find the wires, pull them off the switch, put a jumper across... or, if your tailgate is like mine ... just flip the latches back and forth a coupla times or WD-40 them, and the damn thing will start working again =))

-- A

11. toocalm

toocalm Registered Member

Mine went down but not up, it was the cable...could take off the access panel, disconnect the cable from the motor and attach the end to a drill's chuck and raise it again with no problem. The cable was pretty cheap from Chevy too...

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Correct.

THe switch on the drivers side latch tells the motor not to move when the tailgate is down.

It can roll down but not up

This is just a saftey measure to keep the windo from rolling down while the tailgate is down

just connect both ends of the switch and it will work again.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It also simply be that the safety switch is gummy and clciking back into place when the tailgate is closed. That happened to me once before. A shot of WD40 fixed it up.

Try spraying down the right side latch of your tailgate and after closing it, give it an extra shove on the right side........