Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help !! Power steering pump question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Nov 20, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I replaced my power steering pump today.. Thought it would fix the leak, well it did on the pump area, now my hose where it's factory crimped is leaking like crazy.
    I plan on getting the hose tomorrow so I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do when I replace the pump? As in making sure there is no air in the lines.. etc.
    Also where is the best place to put a tire iron to tighten the power steering belt?
    Thanks guys.

http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get the O-ring in correctlly. I didn't(though I thought I had) and it leaked a little.....then more......and more.......Well you get idea!!Just pry on it from the top. Snug not tight!!

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

3. k5kurt

k5kurt Registered Member

fyi, rocko, i had an 86 3/4 ton 4x4[chev, of course]that started blowing pumps in a big way. Went through two used ones and a new one in about a week. Never did solve the problem, as i traded the truck for my blazer. Maybe this is starting to happen to you?

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Um... Kurt, thank's for the scare.. lol
    Although I don't think it's too serious, I became acustomed to a newer vehicle where I don't have to work on it. Now I have an 83 Blazer, she sat for a long period of time, the more I drive it, I realize small problems with it.
    One good thing though, parts are plentiful and parts are cheap. Oh yeah and she's paid for !! [​IMG]
    I'll replace the hose as per Blazen.. thanks for all the input. [​IMG]

http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

5. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

It may take a couple of miles of driving to "work the air" out of the system. It will disapear.