Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Power steering woes!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHMIII, Dec 8, 2006.

1. CHMIII

CHMIII Newbie

Hello all - I need the help of the vast experience & knowledge out there. I've got a '98 GMC Burb, and I think that the flow actuator valve that attaches to the P/S pump has gone bad. Trouble is, GM has discontinued this part :eek1:, and '99 and later won't fit. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions (besides "buy a new truck" - both my parents and in-laws have already voiced that one...)

Thanks in advance - CHM III

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

have you tried parts stores? i'm not familiar w/ that pump, but pumps are still being made and re-manned for my 6.2, and a ton of parts for that thing have been discontinued from GM.

3. CHMIII

CHMIII Newbie

I'm not doing the work myself, but when my mechanic called his usual part suppliers, they told him that this valve is (was?) a dealer-only part. In other words, the usual suspects (Car Quest, Auto Zone, et al.) have never carried it. Unfortunately, it doesn't come attached to a replacement pump.

I haven't tried the parts stores myself, but I've searched the web pretty throroughly and haven't had much luck. I've seen only a couple of references to the valve in forums, and zero hits on anybody selling one. I know that the junkyard is always an option, but this truck is my wife's daily driver and I hate to trust something like this to a part whose condition can't be verified.

(Edit) BTW - I'm willing to bet that this "soccer-mom 4x2" truck gets subjected to far more abuse than just about any off-roading rig: 6 kids, 2 huskies, and 96K miles in 4 years...

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

bummer, don't know what to tell you then.

BTW - I've seen front wheel drive ford station wagons accept the same abuse. doesn't make it a truck. you're aware that the soccer mom thing is my signature - not something i specifically directed at you, right? it's under every single one of my posts. i won't go into details about what it really means...