Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! problems with dropped draglink

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kickinasphalt383, Jul 23, 2002.

1. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i have a procomp dropped draglink on my 86 K30 with 6" of lift, along with a dropped pitman arm. i am running the proper steering correction for my truck but my draglink ends don't last worth #$@*. i am on my second draglink and one of the ends is already bad after a week and a half with only street driving and some 2wd driving down some two-track.

what gives? am i doing something wrong? does anyone else have this problem?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

are you using any stabalizer shocks??

ARQ.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

can you post some pics of the steering?

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yes i have a single stock steering stabalizer

no, i don't have any close-up pics but i will take one and have it up in a couple of days. what are you looking for?

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

seems odd to eat rod ends, so perhaps they are going beyond their travel range.
    long shot, but without any frame of reference it would be sheer speculation.
    perhaps the photo will show something that you have overlooked yet is apparent to third party

6. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I thought the drop pitman arms and draglinks are 4" each? Double check. I had a similar problem with a 4" arm and a 2" lift.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a Superlift 4" drop drag link once and the ends wore out faster than you can say "Dolly Parton has big tits!" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I think a good solution to retaining the stock steering set up would be to get brand new drag link and adjusting sleeve from any parts store (for the stock type truck) and get a shop to bend the ends at the threads to where the angle of the adjusting sleeve will allow the rod ends to sit horizontal to the pitman arm and steering arm.
    In other words, instead of an aftermarket "S" shaped drag link, get the stock drag link and bend it at the rod ends where the threads end. The adjusting sleeve will be angled and straight, pointing downward.

Kind of hard to explain, but if I can find an old drag link, I will bend it and get a picture up to show what I mean. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" raised steering arm and the 2" Superlift drop draglink. Mine has held up well but it's all less then a year old. How much drop is on the pitman arm and how much in the drag link? Curious as to why you put a drop pitman on? Do you have a raised steering arm to? If so how much? If you want you can check out my homepage url from my profile page to see what my set up looks like. Good clear images of my front end.

9. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can u run the drop steering arm that comes with a 4" lift plus a 4" drop drag link ? that is what i plan to set up. please let me know. thanks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If you mean a 4" RAISED steering arm that comes with a 4" lift and a 4" drop drag link you could do that I guess if you have 8" of suspension lift. The whole point is to try and keep the tie rods parallel at the mounted position. That way they can move all around as needed and not prematuraly wear out. If you are lifting yours 4" then the common set up would be to retain the stock drag link and use a 4" raised arm. Does that answer your question?