Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Problems with Holley TBI!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, May 17, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

My truck runs like SH$T!! I set the idle, there are no vacuum leaks, its getting fuel, what else could it be. It ran fine before the direct replacement swap. The only thing Idid not do is unplug the "idle air control unit". what is an idle air control unit? where is it located. the instructions say to disconnect it before setting idle. I didnt do this. also it says to adjust the TPS to .65 volts. What does that mean? Jeez I thought I knew something about trucks before I got this. I know the computer has an adaptive memory and supposedly should get better but does anyone have any suggestions?

It rips above like 3000rpm but before that it falls on its face. could that be from lack of fuel pressure? i never replaced my fuel pump. Also FYI, it is a 350FI, 87, mild cam upgrade, balanced, aluminum intake, thorley headers, to flowmasters - no cats. could there be not enough backpressure? I know its alot of questions but I am frustrated. Thanks. Andy

2. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

well my idle air control went out on my t-bird and it would not run at all or would not idle high enough and would just shut off, what was my problem. i need a new tbi so i dont know much about replacing one on the k5's

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I can't help you, except to say you're not alone. I've read tons of posts about the Holley TBI "direct replacements" and all the problems they've given guys on this forum who are experienced wrenchers. Maybe if no one posts up an answer for you, you could sift through the old posts, I remember at least one guy finally got it working good in the end. Good Luck.

4. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Thanks man. I appreciate the support and I'll do a search and try to find out what I need to do get this thing running right. - Andy

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to put the jump wire between A&B on the aldl socket. Turn ign on but don't start it. Wait 30 secs then unplug the IAC plug. It's the square plug on the right hand side of the throttle body (as you sit in truck). It sticks out and backwards a bit, not the vertical one just in front of it (TPS). Take jumper wire out, start engine and set the idle speed. Switch off, replace plug and disconnect battery for 1 min. Run and check idle!

6. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Awesome. But what is an aldl socket?

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look under your dash, mines just left of the steering column, for a black wiring block. There's 10 or 12 holes in it. It's about 3/4" by 2" The top 2 right hand holes are the earth and diagnostic terminals (A&B). That's where you put a jump wire between them. If you have a manual look in there under emissions and diagnostis.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

paperclip works great