Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help prove friend wrong(gvwr meaning)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Aug 31, 2005.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So my ford "buddy" says that the gross vehicle weight raiting was the vehicles total wieght as it rolled off the assembaly line. I think that its the max total amount that the truck is supposed to weigh(like if you had lots of stuff in the back like firewood or scrap metal) He said his dads stupid duty had a gvwr of like 8650 or somthing and he thought thats how much the truck weighed...So whos right me or him?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the sum total of the vehicle, its cargo, tongue weight of towed load, etc etc.

Curb weight is what your buddy is thinking of.

-- A

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

i knew it thanks for the help man

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

He must be thinking of net weight which is just the weight of the vehicle (dry). GVWR as dremu stated is the weight of the vehicle, passengers, fuel, all optional accessories, cargo, and so on. There is also a GCWR which is the weight of the fully loaded vehicle plus a fully loaded trailer weight. Of course all the mods we all seem to do to our trucks (suspention, axle swaps, etc) make the GVWR pretty much useless.