Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP pulled distributor and now I cant get it back in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Oct 7, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I pulled out my distributor to replace the manifold and all went well until I tried to put the distributor back in. it seemed like it was about 1/2 inch from sitting flush with the manifold. do I just need to jiggle it and force it or am I missing something. also, is there anything special I need to do when I put the distributor back in? or should everything be good to go? thanks.
    by the way the manifold was a holley tbi manifold for a GM.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I pulled out my distributor to replace the manifold and all went well until I tried to put the distributor back in. it seemed like it was about 1/2 inch from sitting flush with the manifold. do I just need to jiggle it and force it or am I missing something. also, is there anything special I need to do when I put the distributor back in? or should everything be good to go? thanks.
    by the way the manifold was a holley tbi manifold for a GM.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a common problem. You are, most likely, a tooth off and are not lining up with the oil pump correctly.

Pull it out, part way, with one hand on the base and one on the rotor. Then turn the rotor one tooth at a time untill it drops in.

I am assuming you know how to find TDC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't bother finding TDC. Put it in the way it came out. Start it 1/8 turn from where you want it, drop it in. Hold your hand on it and have a buddy bump the starter and it'll drop in.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Exactly , old guy taught me that and bumping it works every time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

so do I need to find TDC or not? I am not totally sure how.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so do I need to find TDC or not? I am not totally sure how.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you marked the distributor, and have not turned the engine over, you do not need to find Top Dead Center. You can just line up your marks...

If you just pulled the distributor without paying attention to it then you need to find TDC to get it timed right.

Any manual will describe how to do it.

I'll sum up the procedure with little detail.

You need the #1 piston to be at the top of its travel on the compression stroke (That is TDC). At TDC, you point the rotor to the wire going to the #1 cylinder (or close to it) and install the distributor. From there, you can use a timing gun to adjust the distributor correctly.

Just make sure you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. If you go 180 degrees out, fire will shoot out the carb /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the bvump trick i dont understand how that can work, unless you didnt move the crank or oil pump drive shaft

in which case theres no point in bumping the engine over, i dont see how it works

i always check for TDC and set on zero degrees on timign taba nd move the oil pump shaft so the slot is pointing at #1 cylinder then i drop in the dizzy

everyone has to learn at some point or another on how to drop a chevy distributor in and set #1 TDC and set position of the oil pump drive rod

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It works for me . Most of the time the engine isn't disturbed . It just falls in and meshes . Just a simple intake swap or gasket change should be fine /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I did mark exactly how the dist. line up. I was just worried that maybe the shaft turned a little, but it would have only turned a little which means I should be able to drop it in and set timing from that right?

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

when i did mine i just turned the oil pump drive with a long flat-head screwdriver, and it dropped right in, little trick i learned from my dad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

when i did mine i just turned the oil pump drive with a long flat-head screwdriver, and it dropped right in, little trick i learned from my dad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the i always do it. No bumping, no hassles. Turn it a bit until you get it pointed at TDC(after setting though)