Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help - questions about Axle wrap & shocks mounted like / \.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Help - questions about Axle wrap & shocks mounted like / \\.

Since installing a shock relocation bracket I have had several breakage problems. I opted to weld the bracket in place rather than remove the bump stops and bolt it in. After the first wheeling trip, the welds broke, so I had the bracket welded again. This time there have been no wheeling trips and the bracket bent and the frame broke where it was welded.

The second time it broke, the bracket was still in place, but bent over towards the shocks. The first thought is that the shocks are bottoming out, that is not the case, they are 9012's, w/6" springs and zero rates. I measured before the installation and checked that against what Rancho recommends and everything was fine.

I am now wondering if axle wrap is causing the problem? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Help - questions about Axle wrap & shocks mounted like / \\.

I wouldn't think you would be getting much axle wrap with a 6" lifted spring. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Frank- BurbinOr (was blazzinOR) had the kit on hsi with 4" lifted springs and the rancho 9012's and had no problems. and all we did on his was bolt the bracket to the bumpstop bracket. he also had it for about a year on there.

-Jeremy

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are the bottom shock mounts on the front or rear of the axle tubes? I'm sure axle wrap could be causing the damage...but you'd know it.

How is the alignment of mounts up top versus the axle side mounts? Maybe there is some bind under compression putting excessive leverage on the upper mount? The howlin mount attaches almost directly over the axle center line, but maybe if the mounts on the axle are on the back side it's binding under full compression?

Does the truck get violent wheel hop when the tires break traction? Is that something that gets done now and then?

rene

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The shocks mounts are on the back of the axle. When everything was installed and working as intended, the ride was very good, and did not have the problems others have described in recent posts with shocks set up in this manner. The Jimmy does not have violent wheel hop, even when the tires break loose.

I plan on modifying the bracket just slightly so it has a wider base, and will bolt it to the frame through the bump stop mounting holes.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That's an odd one...........mine were mounted on the front of the axle, and even with some axle wrap on hard takeoffs on sand (full throttle, bonzai type) never had a problem and we mounted them to the actual bump stop, with only one bolt per side in a shear arrangement. Pic available if you need it, but we did not put it up on the frame. Does sound like some kind of a bind situation............ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe your son is jumping the beast..........lol. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I suspect that the Jimmy sees a lot of action I don't know anything about; however if it had of been "jumped," the shocks should have been pushed up, not pulled over towards the axle.

Again, I am inclined to believe that axle wrap from a torque is causing the problem. I am going to rebuild the shock mount so that the base covers both holes on the bump stop and bolt it in place. If he breaks that, screw it, he can run without shocks.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suspect that the Jimmy sees a lot of action I don't know anything about; however if it had of been "jumped," the shocks should have been pushed up, not pulled over towards the axle.

Again, I am inclined to believe that axle wrap from a torque is causing the problem. I am going to rebuild the shock mount so that the base covers both holes on the bump stop and bolt it in place. If he breaks that, screw it, he can run without shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang Dad, me? Go offroading without letting you know??? NEVER!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Besides the only timed I jumped it, you got to see the pictures! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif