Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Quick! about Carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80K5, Feb 16, 2002.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

I have a Quadrajet 4 barrel carb and it is running way to rich. I was just wondering how do you lean them out?
    Thanks a lot in advance

Stuck? Yep, I'm always stuck!
    Steve!

2. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Common somone must know how to adjust there carb?

Steve!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Too genneric of a question. We need somemore details.
    Like:
    How do you know it's rich? Black-smoke, Loading-up, Tail-pipe readings (would be the most helpful).
    When is it rich? Start-up, Ideling after warmed up, free-way speeds, or WOT. This tells us what circut is rich.
    Is this a "all-of-a-sudden" problem, or has it been doing this for-a-while?
    Has there been an up-grade recently? new-cam, new carb, has something changed.
    Anything else that might be helpfull.

Tring to fix drivability conncerns first hand can be tuff, tring to diagnose 'em over the "net" can be almost impossible. I don't want to lead someone in the wrong dirction. So details help.

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

4. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

ok. I had a feeling I would get that. well when I first start it up when it is cold it blows black smoke and smells like gas a bit. It even gets like that when I am out 4x4ing sometimes. When I am driving like down the highway or whatever it seems fine. And I am also having problems with the idle. It always once to stall when I am stopped and if I turn it up its just way to high it seems. I don't have a tachometer to hook it up to so I don't know the exact rpm's but if its fine so it doesn't stall then it just seems way to high but then again on other days it seems like it runs awsome and I have no problems at all. I just whent out and checked the bolts that hold the carb down and they seemed a tad loose there there is a possibility that I was haveing some vaccuum leaks but I don't think thats everything. I also whent over the whole carb not to long ago and cleaned it out and rebuilt it. I had it off the road for about 3 months so maybe the sitting did something. Who knows maybe it just needs a good run. Just ask any questions if you don't uderstand what I mean since I am still learning.
    Thanks again!

Steve!

5. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

oh yeah its been happening for a little while but today it just seemed a little worse.

Steve!

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

O.K. much better.
    Sounds like it might be choke related. Like the choke isn't pulling off like it should, and causeing it to run rich on start up (only). Does this sound like the your problem?
    I'm not the best with chokes, I don't like 'em and don't run 'em. When I do have to adjust my chokes I just fiddjet with it until I get something that works. I'm sure someone else would have a better explination than that.

Also, About a intermitant idle problems could be related to worn throttle shaft bore or the choke adjustment. Most commonly, the idle speed will be very high or low, depending on how the throttle blades come to a rest. Usualy, snapping the throttle will change the idle speed.
    To check your throttle shaft, just grab the throttle-shaft and wiggle it. There should be no-play other than rotational.

Does it seam to do this every time you start it? (blows-black, runns rich) - even when warmed up? If thats the case, it could be well-plugs leaking, puddling up in the intake maniflold, causeing it to appear to run rich when started.

Thats everything that hitts me, from your discription.
    I think I'd check the choke first, then the shaft, than pull the carb and check the well plugs.

Hope this hepls-

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 02/17/02 01:11 AM.</FONT></P>

7. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.
    As for the choke part I hate them so I don't run one. It kept screwing up and I couldn't get it right. I am thinking maybe there is some moisture in my distributor cap maybe and there is a good possibility my plugs are bad. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet but I don't think the owner before me ever did anything like that. And that throttle shaft might be a bit of a problem as well. Every once in a while I have to blip the throttle to get the idle back down.
    Thanks again for the info and if you got any more info just give me a message

Steve!