Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help quick -- harmonic balancer install! **UPDATED**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 13, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

New crate 350. How the heck do you install the balancer. First try boogered the end of the crank thread. Got those cleaned up and fixed. Now how do I press this thing on? Needs to go on about another 1/4 inch.

**UPDATE**
    I got the Moroso balancer install tool from Summit yesterday. It was like $31 or so. It consists of a piece of all-thread, for lack of a better term. The end 1" of threads are the 7/16-20 that matches the crank. The rest of the threads are probably around 1" or so fine thread. It cam with a large nut (1 3/8), a washer and a bearing. You put the balancer on by hand as far as you can. Then you thread the thread all the way into the crank. Then put the bearing on the thread next to the balancer followed by the washer and finally the nut. I also coated the threads with WD40. I then cranked the nut down. It was relatively easy to turn, probably required 20-30 ft lbs of pressure. As someone said, the balancer went on like a glove. Took about 2 minutes to get it all the way on with no damage to the threads! If you ever need to install a balancer, I HIGHLY recommend this tool! It is WELL WORTH the money!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by tx85gmcguy on 01/17/02 07:38 AM.</FONT></P>

2. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Re: help quick -- harmonic balancer install!

This is just my opinion, but if you spent all that money for a new motor, you should spend another 30$ and get a harmonic balancer install tool (moroso makes one). It makes putting one on like slipping a glove on, zero effort, no damage to anything.

3. blender

blender Registered Member

You can rent the tool from Checker or Autozone free of charge, they require a deposit though.

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with the proper tool...... but...... you can also make one using a fine thread 7/16 bolt ( long ) and a couple good thick washers and nuts. Thread the bolt in as far as you can, with the nut and washers at the end by the head. Then holding the bolt with one wrench, turn the nut with another wrench which in turn will push the balancer on slowly.

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

5. blender

blender Registered Member

You can usually rent them free of charge from places like Autozone or Checker, they require a deposit though.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I agree about the tool, just didn't know there was one! If I can't find one locally tomorrow, I will get one ordered from Summit. I plan to drop the engine in Saturday. Need to get this danged balancer on. Thanks for the info.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I made one from a length of 7/16 all-thread (because Auto Zone didn't have the rental tool). I had to go to a specialty nut and bolt shop to find fine thread grade 8. I just screwed it in to the crank, greased up the threads and washer, then pulled it on slowly. Works like a charm.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How do you know how far to press it? Do you just go all the way in? Will the engine try to crank when doing this? Should I put a bolt in the back side to keep the crank from rotating?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

**See update in main post**

Brian

10. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    That tool is nice and all, but my method is about 30$ cheaper. Just buy a bolt that is about 1/2 an inch longer than the balancer bolt and use that one to get the balancer started then use the balanacer bolt the rest of the way.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Problem and risk with this method is that if you aren't grabbing enough of the crank threads or if you have an esepcially stubborn or tight fitting balancer, you can screw up the threads on the crank. There is a reason I know this! I started by this method and used a bolt 1" longer than the balancer bolt. Screwed the threads on the crank. Luckily I could tap them back out.

You could also "build" a similar tool simply using all-thread and an old bearing. But, to me, $30 is cheap compared to the potential cost of damage to the crank. That kind of insurance for the cost of 12 beers at the local hangout is pretty darn cheap to me.

Brian

12. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

FYI: I shopped all over for a balancer installer. Snap-On has the best one and it is only $30, cheaper than most other manufacturers. The bearing style is the way to go.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!