Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP QUICK! - Valve cover Question -

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Nov 30, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I am going to drop the motor in and have a set of Aluminum Tall SBC valve covers.. but one doesnt have ANY holes and the other only has an oil filler hole...
    ???

Do I need a breither hole in the one side? Or can I leave it completely covered?
    One valve cover is no holes and one only has an oil cap...?
    They have M/T on the top of them and say chevrolet on them also in little letters on the sides...

??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The valve covers on my BB only have 1 hole for the breather and 1 for the PCV valve. I just use the breather hole to pour the oil in...Pop the breather out and pour the oil in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do your valve covers have a hole for the PCV valve too?

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Aaron where are your 400 valve covers? Oh I bet they are getting cleaned along with my intake I am getting from you. Those will work fine, just cannot run a PCV valve. Sounds like your having fun See ya tomrrow Later Jeff

4. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

No biggie dude, just but a breather in place of the oil cap. 283's didn't have ANY holes.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well my pcv valve has to go in the one side...

so that means I have no breather and no oil filler.. I went and looked again.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Will that work? Or will it create some kind of vaccume that will have bad side affects... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HI Jeff!

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those are some OLD SCHOOL mickey thompson valve covers. Mickey Thompson actually stopped making valve covers last year, but any of them are worth some money to the right person.

Personally I'd just run the PCV off of the one hole and fill from that side. Your crank case pressure might be a little off but it shouldn't hurt anything.

7. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

I might just not use a pcv if I was in your shoes. Are you dead set on using those valve covers?
    On another note, if you are going to be pulling them on and off to adjust valves etc., smear some chapstick on the cover and the head. This way the gasket will be reuseable!

8. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

when i got my valve covers there werent any holes but there were supposed to be knock outs for the oil filler and pcv, well, they didnt knock out and i had to drill them out, one for the oil filler and one for the pcv, i put a oil filler cap that had a filter on it, cost about 12 bucks i think and drilled one hole for the pcv, i used vaseline to hold the gasket on, the new valve covers stopped a lot of the oil leak problems i had, good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Look like these only no breather... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

similar to mine, where the oil filler is i put a cap that has a filter or breather i guess ya call it, it sits up off the valve cover about 2 inches i guess, just have to clean it once in awhile