Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help quick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newbe73, Mar 19, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

hey there everyone i have 73 chevy balzer with a 350 in it ,well i was just wonedring if i would all need to buy anything becids the 454 . like if te ratator and my th350 and if every thing else would still line up and work. everything is mostly stock on it so ya. if any of you have done this thell me . this i verry inmportant cuz if it is not to much becids to $1200 454 then i would love to do itand probibly will be selling my mitubishi to do it. thanks for reading eveyone. and if you could help me out i wouls apreacieat it

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

a 454 will bolt up to your th350... it will be too strong fot the tranny though... dont be hard on it...

You'll want a new radiator.. a 4 core would be good... have to modify the kickdown a little... but that's about it...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Will bolt up to the TH350 with the right flex plate. Here is the issue. Depending on your right foot the TH350 will handle it for a while. It can be beefed to handle it better by a few tricks. bigest of wich is a beefed up forward drive sprag. The other biggie is a BIG tranny cooler. Now there is also a issue with the year TH350 you have. They were prone to busting bell housings. in the late 70's there was a beefed up TH350 4x4 housing. It will have a Big K on the side of it. What was different is the lower area where the inspection cover attaches was beefed. this allowed for a cast inspection cover to be bolted on. This cover had mounting points for a set of braces that ran between the cover and a plate under the motor mounts. There was also a brace added from the side of the case to one of the bell housing bolts. The second is a bolt on to your current set up but.
    You will also need to get a four core radiator to handl the extra cooling the big block will need.
    You could get away with it for a while but I would keep an eye out for a TH400 and a 205. Same deal wit hthe TH400. look for a newer one with the bell housing beefed.

4. newbe73

so i could not get by with me rattor at all , if not how much would the outher ratator cost??? with a trad in of mine

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it's a hard call. If it's in good shape good fan clutch and the fan shroude is on it you may not have a problem. HD tranny cooler to take some load off it....may work fine. On the other hand you may get into a over heating issue in the middle of summer but be fine in the spring.
    Put a good temp gage on it and give it a try. It amy be a matter of just watching the right foot and easing off it if you see the temp come up. To be quite honest I would probably give it a shot for a while if I was in your shoes.

6. newbe73

thanks aolt i just mite thanks every one for helping