Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help reading electrical diagrams

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Sep 21, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

For all the electrical gurus I need some help decoding some symbols on electrical schematics. The first one looks like: ---O E O---With the dashes being the wire. Second is: ---(a ~ inside a circle)---

Can someone tell me what these mean?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Which electrical diagrams are you looking at, I'm trying to visualize it, but I really can't :(

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

This is on a truck? The first one sounds like the symbol for a switch and the second for an AC signal generator, which ain't right for trucks.

Oh, #2 could be a fuse.

Anyway, shameless self plug: go to my Brochures page, click on Wiring on the left, and open Common wiring symbols, which is a PDF which should get you a lot further along.

-- A

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Actually this is for a DC fundamentals class I am taking online as a correspondence class. The symbols I mentioned are shown in a diagram in the book showing how to hook up volt and ohm meters but has no reference to what the symbols are. The symbols really have nothing to do with what I am studying right now as far as this lesson is concerned. I was just curious what they meant. The ~ in the circle looks similar to what is shown for a signal generator on the above link. I guess it really doesn't matter at the moment maybe it will be covered later in the lessons. Still any pages like the above link to shown different symbols will help increase my knowledge and would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

This is a voltage source, typically AC but can be used for DC with a 0V AC component.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Is it possible that the 'E' is the plates for a DC source and the 'O's are the connecting points on the schematic?
    Since it's an online course can you link us to the picture or make the schematic an attachment.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The only thing online is the actual tests that I take everything else is in a book. I'll try to get the diagrams scanned and can e-mail them to someone to host or look at. I'l try to get it scanned later tonight, just need an e-mail to send it to.

8. spearchucker

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

e-mail sent thanks!

10. spearchucker

I explained the symbols, but here are the schematics for those that are curious. So here's a simple question ... in the second circuit say E=12V and the resistor is 6 ohms, how much current does the meter read?

Schematic.jpg

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

ZERO, you have to hook up the meter in series to read current unless you use a clamp.

12. spearchucker

Give the man a cigar. :waytogo:
    Looks like someone needs to proofread their teaching material a little more carefully. :doah:

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Maybe... It could be more than .0000 A, It depends on the size of the wire on the right (in the diagram) of the ammeter vs. those feeding the ammeter, and the potential of the source. :haha: Yes, I'm a smart ass :p: