Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help really bad winshield leak!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 98sub454, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

Those that live in socal know that we havent had rain in a long time and now we are getting a ton of it. well i just happened to notice that my windshield leaks, really really bad. the water enters the truck from between the actual windshield and the weatherstripping. can anyone help me out here???? i read somewhere about somekind of lock strip or something for them, i dont think i have it. if i press on the windshield from inside i can move it out a tiny bit so there is some play. anyone have any ideas??? thanks. i need to fix it because my shoes are getting soaked /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sounds like the seal is just shot. There shouldnt be that much noticeable play in it, least i wouldnt think so. Best bet, new seal.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, needs a new seal...mine used to do that, till i replaced it...when you do it get a rag with some paint thinner on it and wipe down the area the gasket seals to, theres probably dirt and junk in there

4. 98sub454

the seal is not bad. it cant be more than 2 years old. thats why im so confused. the only thing that i can think of is that maybe it is the wrong seal and/or windhield or it is missing another part of the seal or something. the seal is in very good condition, and so it the window

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you sure you dont have like a very tiny crack in the windshield? We had an old dually that right down at the edge of the gasket a rock had hit it and made a very tiny (barely visible) crack, but if you put the hose on it, a puddle of water formed.....

Also are you sure your seal hasnt just dry-rotted away and doesnt have a bunch of little cracks in it that you cant see? Are you sure its coming from the windshield? It couldnt like be coming in from a bad vent window gasket or something?

6. 98sub454

no the seal is in great condition. it looks brand new. and i know the windshield is ok as well. and it is definately coming from the windshield. and it comes from everywhere. not just one spot. water comes in from around the entire windshield

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it sounds like the seal is either wrong or not installed correctly. Im not sure if a windshield gasket is supposed to have a silicone sealant on it, but for some reason i think it does, and it sounds like that step was skipped.

8. 98sub454

also it leaks between the seal and the winshield not the body and the seal, if that makes any difference in what anyone thinks

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sounds to me like the gasket is supposed to be attached to the windshield with silicone b4 its installed, and that was skipped so water is coming in there, faulty install maybe.