Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Rear diff problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aztec777, Apr 24, 2001.

1. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

I put my Jimmy on blocks to check a noise from the rear. Thought it may be a wheel bearing. Those are okay. Pulled the cover on my diff and couldn't see anything wrong. Did find some shavings, but I didn't think it was anything to concern myself with. I put the cover back on and refilled with lube. Drove around the block with no noise. Once I got back to my driveway, it's at an incline, there was a loud pop and the truck felt like it was binding. Got it back in the garage and there was a hole in my diff cover and all of that brand new lube was leaking out. It was at the bottom of the cover. It almost seems like the cover was simply too close to the ring gear, but I've had the truck 3 years without a problem. I did notice another outward ding about 3/4 of an inch above the hole. What the heck is going on? Do I need to rebuild it? Or is it simply an adjustment? I'm not too comfortable doing it myself, but would tackle it with your help. My last resort is taking it to a garage to get it worked on. I can't stand the idea of that. HELP!

Steve

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

similar thing happened last week to a coworkers f150,all was fine and he noticed a leak,pulled his diff coer and found 3 big chunks of his spider gears.pull the cover and see whats in there.the noise could have been somthin ready to let go,and it finally did.[​IMG]

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>