Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! Rear shackle bolts won't come out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

HELP!!!! Rear shackle bolts won\'t come out!

How do I get them out without using a tourch?? I'm doing this at this moment. Do I have to replace the bushings when I put on a shackle flip??

NEVER been stuck... *yet* (4wheeling)

Stuck for 10 months (At school)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: HELP!!!! Rear shackle bolts won\'t come out!

Dude that bites. I been there and it sucked. The bolt has rusted to the sleave. I took an air chisel and finnaly got mine out. It took a good while and a lot of cussing before it came loose. I would plan on replacing the bolt and you may have to cut the head off and pry the shackle loose and beat it out on the bench.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Damn dude i hated putting my lift on but what i finally found out if you are not reusing the pushings just use a propane torch and melt the rubber out. I did beat my bolts out though originally though. It sucks because the rubber absorbs the blow of the impact. Use liquid wrench or some penetrant and just beat it with a sledge. I beat it as hard as i could for like 5 minutes then they come out. Wow that really doesn't sound to good. HAHA Oh by the way the front bolts on the rear leaf spring are even harder you can't really get to them good!!!! Later - Doug

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Had the same problem on my 87. I don't think the factory even put grease in the shackle. It was so rusted that it wouldn't budge. I ended up soaking both in diesel for a couple days and pounded the crap out of those bolts with a sledge. They finally came out but it took some time. A press would work better. Good luck.

Shawn

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Same problem when i did my shackle flip.I got new bushings and bolts.I have put a sawsall blade between the bushing and shackle.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes replace all bolts and bushings also lube everything inside and out! The shakel bolts on my rig were also rusted to the sleaves and I ended up drilling out the rubber(honey combed it).
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com