Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help rebuilding a 208, er uh, looks like a 205 it is!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddinManny, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay guys, I need the transfer case masters to step up to the plate. I've done the search and so far all I can come up with is that when rebuilding a 208:

1. Make sure you open it on the correct side or the guts will spill out.

2. Change the planetary to a 241 because it's stoudter (6) instead of the 208's (4).

3. Upgrade to the 241 Chain, as the 241 chain is stronger and beefier than the HD 208 replacement.

Other than that, I'm getting BCA's rebuild kit. Here it is:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transfer Case & Manual Transmission Kits Include all necessary Gaskets and/or Gasket Eliminator

What model years have the 241? What part numbers for the planetary and the chain? Can I do this rebuild in a day? I truly don't know what else to ask, so please, everyone chip in and help me out. I'd appreciate it.

Manny

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay, update...

Little "google" and I found this:

Transfer Case Chains

Which NP241 chain do I go with? Will it fit directly onto the sprockets inside my 208? I'm completely dumb with this.

Manny

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Find a 241 to put back there and swap them out. Then you are done nothing else needs to be changed.

The 241 planetary will not fit in the 208 the designs are different. An added benefit of a 241 is the availability of slip yoke eliminators. No one make one for the 208 that is not cheezy at best.

Ira

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Ira,

Okay, I started to look into this and wound up looking at JB's SYE for the 241. How much $$$ would a 241 cost? I'm clueless. Seems like the 241 is much stoudter than the 208. Your thoughts?

Manny

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I know where a NP241 pass drop from an 89 K5 is, for a great price, close to SA, TX. That's if he still has it. I was thinking about getting it for myself, in the event that my 89's 241 ever got munched. But I don't really want to get it and have it just sitting around.

I'll PM you the info.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Manny

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

No problem, Manny. I just hope I don't regret it.. LOL.

8. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Whoa there Manny. If you are going to go into your 208, why not swap in a 205 and be done? Kenny has the adapter, I and many others have round 205's, and you have the correct tranny. Only other thing you'll need is a crossmember and maybe some driveline work.
    Oh, and you can pick a 205 that already has the slip-yoke eliminated.
    Jimbo

9. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

cause that would make sense.:surepal:

10. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey YZ, I'm new to the New Process Transfer case seen, so yeah, I'm a NOOB here. I'm asking the questions and trying to get it right. If asking questions, for my sake, and maybe the others who are a little timid to post, earns me the roll eyes, then so be it. Just remember, everyone was at a beginning and inexperienced sometime. Not offended, just replying so you understand where I'm coming from.

Manny

11. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

you talked earlier in your thread about going to a 205 later, well why not do it now? then you'll only have to mess with driveshafts once. you have everything else built tough, why not the t-case also. with as much work as you have into it now, why not take a little more time and put the 205 in?

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I agree with this completely. Why I'm having difficulties pulling the trigger on it, I don't know. Maybe because I don't have a clear picture or understanding on the swap. Thanks to Jimbo and his patience and others, I'm starting to come around.

Thanks!

Manny

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 241 is a direct swap for a 208. A 241 is not that much beefier then a 208, but does have the ability to go SYE easily. A 205 is stronger but has less lowrange (2.72 vs. 1.96).

I would find a 241 in good shape and swap it in. 241's can be had regularly for about $200-300 in good shape.

A 241 should stand up to some beatings as long as you don't have direct contact with objects to the case. Make sure you have a good skidplate and you should be fine. A 205 is the ultimate in strength but has less gear ratio. With a built motor though that might not matter as much.

Harley

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

P.S. If you do rebuild the 208 make sure you open the case up with the input facing down (sitting on table) and seperate the case halves. You must remove the speedo gear before you can seperate the case halves. The speedo gear is the little round thing on the side of the tailshaft housing.

When/if you pull the mainshaft appart do it in a pan or large bowl or something. Behind one of the gears on the mainshaft is about 80 large needle bearings that will go all over the place if you don't contain them. Splitting the gears off the mainshaft may not be necessary unless you are wanting to replace those needle bearings.

Harley

15. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay,

Well, it looks like I'm heading down the road to a 205 swap. I gotta pull the trigger. Having that slip yoke back there makes me feel real uneasy in case I dump the rear shaft and I don't like the idea of getting stuck in the middle of no where because my drivetrain is slinging fluid.

Since I'm a MUD guy, losing the low range of the 208 isn't that big for me. My 383 should make up the grunt force difference. I'm gonna snag the adapter from Kenny and now I have to go and find a matching 205. If anyone can help shed some light on the 205 crossmember, I'd appreciate it. My current one I guess is a no-go. Grrrr! Oh well, suck it up. I'll be better off in the long run.

Manny

16. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

good to hear. your engine will make up for the low range.

17. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

You should do the 205 now, and later on down the road, if you want more lowrange swap to a lomax 205