Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help removing heater core.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hi guys.

So I start tearing up everything to remove my leaking heater core. Started with the glove box and then removed one of the bolts that hold that big plastic cover. Surprise, the rest of the bolts have round heads! How do I remove them?

Any help greatly appreciated.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if i am remeambering right you only get 2 or maybe 3 from inside the cab and the reast are from the outside on the fire wall hope this helps. good luck

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

There are 3 bolts in the engine area. If you have AC there is one behind the distributor, one just above the heater core hoses, and one below the AC on th fire wall. The last one can be a pain. You don't neccessarly need to disconnect the cable for the control, but 2 vaccume hoses. But be careful, somethings might be brittle.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

So what you're saying is that I don't need to mess with those round-head bolts inside the cab? Do I only need to remove the ones on the engine-side and not the ones inside the cab?

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Just changed mine a few weeks ago. Inside the engine compartment I actually removed 3 nuts (not bolts). If your setup is similar than the round head bolts don't have to be removed from the blower housing inside. Once you pull the nuts you should be able to wiggle the housing under the dash until it frees up. Don't know if that makes enough sense to help!

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks to you all guys. I'll try again tonight and let you know what happens.

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

The "round head bolts" are similar to carraige bolts and you don't need to take them out from the inside. Just remove the nuts on the firewall in the engine compartment. I had a hell of a time trying to get the core out of the heater box. I managed to squeeze it out but it wasn't easy! It seemed like you had to disassemble the doors to get it apart but I couldn't figure out how to do so without damaging them. Take your time be careful as things in there are quite delicate. Good luck!