Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help removing steering arm stud on dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Oct 8, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I started tearing the Dana 60 apart last night to rebuild it. Every thing went smoothly until I got to removing the steering arm. One of the cone nuts, broke, leaving the cone part which makes it extremly difficult to remove the stud, which is now twisted off just above the broken nut, because of this. I am replacing the steering arm with a cross over unit from ORD so I don't mind damaging it as long as I do not tear up the knuckle. Any ideas before I go do something to make it even harder to get out? Do I have to remove the stud to get the steering arm off? Or should the arm slide off after the remaining peice of nut is out of there?

One last question. Do I have to have the special tool to remove and install the king pin, or is there a more economical way to do it?

Some days I just pray for spontaneous combustionhttp://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

hey i just went through that, but as i was selling the parts i had to do it damage free.
    i ended up removing the knuckle and spinning the steering block which undid the stud from the knuckle. then took the block to machinist to drill the siezed stud from the block.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Tell ya what I'll give you my D44 and yuou give me the dana60 then you wont need to take it off....

4. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I will give up 2 D44's for the D60 for a spare.Why waste your time on it........LOL.

chevrules...always has and always will

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

mmm hhmmm...I'll let you know if it becomes to much of a pain. Not likely though so don't hold your breath. heheh

Some days I just pray for spontaneous combustionhttp://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual